Plasti Dipped Battery Door

ultrab6

Reaction score
Like the title says, I decided to Plasti Dip the battery door. Reason being that it felt way too slippery to me. There were several times it felt like it was about to fly out of my hands. I had a Droid 2 before this phone and it had a rubberized back. I wanted to replicate that feel. Found some Plasti Dip lying around and figured why not? To be on the safe side, I ordered a new stock battery door from Verizon ($5.35 shipped). I know Plasti Dip comes in white, blue, red, black and clear. I chose black because its what I had lying around. Went ahead and sprayed it. No prep necessary and here's the results.

View attachment 45392
stock
View attachment 45393
sprayed
View attachment 45394
stock/sprayed
View attachment 45395
stock/sprayed

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. Was kind of hoping that the logos would disappear but oh well, no big deal. Definitely doesn't feel like it'll be slipping out of my hand now.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
that's awesome, and you can still make out the logos too. How many layers did you put on? Any pics of it on the phone?

magnus

Reaction score
That's great....You must inform us of how the coating lasts and if It wears off. I don't want to put a case on, but I would like a little more grip. Heck it might not be a bad idea to put a stencil over the back/sides and Plasti-dip over the stencil to provide even more grip!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Thanks for the pics, looks very nice and still stock. Yeah I saw tr clear plasti dip and provably gonna run to my local hardware store to see if they have any. Winter so my hands are mostly dry and the phone gets slippery, almost slipped out of my hand the other day

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
This is great! I also want to do the sides to reduce the slip. I have a slim case on right now but I' much rather go naked.

OP
ultrab6

ultrab6

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I think the Plasti Dip should hold up nicely. Its main purpose was for hand tools so my thinking is that there should be no wear but we'll see. I'll report back in a couple of weeks. Been using the phone all day though and all I can say is, what a world of difference. Not once did I feel like it was going to fall out of my hand.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Huh... I never have a problem with my phone slipping out of my hands... :icon_ lala: Oh... That's because it's in an Otterbox, never mind! :D

I definitely like the look of the back with the coating! I would do the same if mine wasn't in a case! =D It would be neat to mask off and spray the whole back of the phone too! :biggrin:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just picked up some plasti dip, for my car, might do this for my battery door.

TechJPC

Reaction score
Gonna check this out, My OB Commuter is too slippery for me.
Thanks

cruzincat

Reaction score
Great idea! Should be getting a car dock later today. Will have to stop using the thin plastic cover I got from verizon when in the dock. The plastic dip might be a good solution, even using it on the sides where it does not interfere with the dock.

Alvarez13

Reaction score
This is great! I also want to do the sides to reduce the slip. I have a slim case on right now but I' much rather go naked.
Please keep us updated. I would love to see the sides get a little more grip too. Maybe some tape and then spray.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Great idea! Should be getting a car dock later today. Will have to stop using the thin plastic cover I got from verizon when in the dock. The plastic dip might be a good solution, even using it on the sides where it does not interfere with the dock.

my only concern of spraying the sides is if something went wrong with phone VZW may not replace it due to the mod done to it.. thinking about seriously taping the tbolt off and plasti dip it.. maybe red /black combo..