Plan for Bionic root/unroot for ICS, PLEASE REVIEW

Chip Sweetstride

Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some eyes on this plan I've made for hacking my new Droid so I can avoid bricking it at all costs.

I bricked my old Bionic 2 days ago due a combination of problems with Clockword Recovery Mod and the leaked ICS update, as well as my battery frying for some reason. Thankfully Verizon was none the wiser and they are sending me a new phone and battery in a few days. Although I'm cautious about hacking now, I still plan on rooting the new phone so I can recover my apps and data from the old phone's SD card.

Here are my plans for the new phone. If anyone could tell me if it makes sense or if they see any issues that will arise from following these steps, please let me know:

1. Root new Bionic with Motofail.exe root
2. Restore apps and such with Titanium Backup (restoring individual apps so I don't get any old clockwork garbage or other random stuff)
3. Download Voodoo Root OTA Rootkeeper.
4. Wait for official ICS OTA (don't want to mess around with the leaks anymore) and backup root with voodoo
5. Unroot with voodoo, install ICS and re-root after update (I've read on some posts that Voodoo works with the ICS OTA but I'm not 100% sure)

If anyone sees any flaws with this plan or if you think it sounds like there won't be any problems, please respond! I really don't want to brick a second phone so any help would be invaluable.

wseyller

Reaction score
I heard some people using Voodoo to restore their root on ICS. Some said it didn't work. The best option is to use the latest ICS root method after you do the OTA. This is what most people use on their ICS bionic called "Razrs Edge Windows". So when you OTA I would just let root get squashed by the OTA then use the method I suggested. Download link here http://t.co/mbIAmwH8

OP
C

Chip Sweetstride

Reaction score
I heard some people using Voodoo to restore their root on ICS. Some said it didn't work. The best option is to use the latest ICS root method after you do the OTA. This is what most people use on their ICS bionic called "Razrs Edge Windows". So when you OTA I would just let root get squashed by the OTA then use the method I suggested. Download link here http://t.co/mbIAmwH8

I'm not as concerned with having root after ICS as I am with having the OTA install without any issues after I root with motofail. Are you sure that the OTA would just undo the existing root and install without any problems?

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
why wouldn't you just fxz back to stock .902, and take the .905 OTA??...pretty darn simple if you ask me, beats all that you just listed

lol...sorry I just reread and see that you have a new bionic replacement..... if you did root it, you don't have any backup nandroids?

OP
C

Chip Sweetstride

Reaction score
why wouldn't you just fxz back to stock .902, and take the .905 OTA??...pretty darn simple if you ask me, beats all that you just listed

lol...sorry I just reread and see that you have a new bionic replacement..... if you did root it, you don't have any backup nandroids?

I plan on rooting it so I can install TiBu and restore that backup (the only backup I have) from the bricked phone so I can get my apps/data back. My biggest concern is that I can still install the ICS OTA without the fact that the phone is rooted affecting the installation. So if someone can confirm Voodoo will work to get me on the ICS OTA path when it comes or if the OTA will install without issue over the Motofail root, then problem solved.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
For what it's worth.... I've been to ICS and back to GB .902/.905 and then back again (several tiems)...and I successfully used TiBup to replace my apps&data on all of those builds and easily rooted once I was already on ICS.... so what I'm saying is that you can simply root your replacement Bionic now, then when the official ICS OTA does come, you can FXZ back to .902, take the .905 OTA, then take the ICS OTA, root at that point with razr's_edge, and then simply use TiBup to replace all of your apps (and app data for virtually all of them)

OP
C

Chip Sweetstride

Reaction score
For what it's worth.... I've been to ICS and back to GB .902/.905 and then back again (several tiems)...and I successfully used TiBup to replace my apps&data on all of those builds and easily rooted once I was already on ICS.... so what I'm saying is that you can simply root your replacement Bionic now, then when the official ICS OTA does come, you can FXZ back to .902, take the .905 OTA, then take the ICS OTA, root at that point with razr's_edge, and then simply use TiBup to replace all of your apps (and app data for virtually all of them)

Sounds like a plan, thanks for the help!