Pixel ringer volume tied to notification volume

anewton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hello,

I just received the latest security update from Google on my Pixel phone, so I don't know if that was what was responsible, or perhaps something else I've done, but I've noticed some changes to my volume settings.

In Tasker, I used to be able to set most if not all of my volumes from 0-15. Now, only media (music) can be set in that scale. All other volumes I can only set from 0-7.

Also, it used to be the case that I could set my ring volume separately from my notification volume, but now if I adjust one, the other is also adjusted.

Does anyone here have any insight into this behavior? Could an unassociated app be contributing to this?

JDH

Reaction score
It's not new, it occurs in marshmallow 6.0.1.as well. One setting for all. I could set separately in lollipop. One more improvement, NOT!

OP
A

anewton

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I've been reading about the linked volumes, you're right, that's not new (but something I've been meaning to ask/gripe about for awhile).

What seems to me to be new is the new ranges 0-7 for everything except Media (music). I know this is really new because in Tasker, it still shows settings for various volume levels at 0-15...unless I attempt to modify them, them it halves the value (if it's over 7) and adjusts from there.

This also had the undesirable value of doubling the effective values -- whereas I used to have my alarm set at 4/15, it suddenly got twice as loud (4/7), waking me with much more force than necessary or what I'm used to...and annoying my wife, who gets up later than I do. :-(