Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
Pictures of Supposed Galaxy S5 Chassis Leak Online, Definitely Made of Metal

Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre.jpg

Pictures from France of a metallic chassis are making its way around. It is said to be the skeleton for the upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone from Samsung. Rumors over the past few months, which state that Samsung will go sporting plastic bodies to move towards a more premium aka metallic body. If these pictures are to be believed, it appears Samsung has finally made a switch over to metal. What I have noticed from the pictures is Samsung Changed the placing of the camera from the middle of the backside on devices to the edge. In addition, Samsung usually puts the headphone jack on top of devices, but here the jack in placed on the bottom like on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus. Finally the charging port at the bottom of the device appears to be large enough for a USB 3.0 plug. Seeing that the Galaxy Note 3 sports USB 3.0,it would not surprise me that the S5 would have it also. Lets see how much more gets leaked before CES.

Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre-02.jpg

Source

Attachments

• Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre-02-650x487.jpg
    Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre-02-650x487.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 528
  • Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre-05-e1385140910308-650x487.jpg
    Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre-05-e1385140910308-650x487.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 491
  • Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre.jpg
    Samsung-Galaxy-S5-Cadre.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 459

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
It appears to be a cast frame, with machining performed to specific areas, so they 'fit' properly, and provide a closer tolerance for the boards being placed onto the frame.
This should assist greatly with heat buildup internally, sink extra heat from the main components producing heat, such as the processor, GPU, voltage regulation, GPS and RF systems.
The frame will provide a better ground plane for the active RF devices to work against, as well as a better conductive material for grounding of D.C and RF systems, making a return path for such signals.
I wish all devices had a metal shield they designed their products on. If only for the electrical properties, but also RF and mechanical rigidness of such a framework. Because most bodies and backings are flimsy, and provide little protection against abuse, daily wear and tear, the devices in a sense, self-destruct, by not being able to protect the devices from external shock, but a metal frame can absorb such shock far better, and keep working.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
The chassis of most phones are made of metal.

I have several phones hat have no metal framework, the droid X, only has a metal frame for the display, not the RF board.
Older phones, such as AudioVox, are housed in plastic bodies, and if there is any metal, it is a sprayed-on conductive coating, like Apple used on their iterations of the Mac, SE, SE-30 and so on.
Once you remove and replace the covers more than a few times, the coating does nothing to stop stray RF from exiting or entering the case.
Plastics can be made to be far more rigid, and better protectors of the equipment they house, but cost is the main barrier to using metal frames, as the pictures prove, machining is now needed for maintaining tolerances that plastics can be molded to provide, with little to no clean-up required to fit components snugly.
DSCF0917.JPG

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
This is a shot of a non-Android Samsung phone, again, no metal frame, only plastic supports both the main board and the display.
There is a shield covering the RF assembly, which I removed.
DSCF0987.JPG

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is craziness. Still waiting for the N3 Dev edition to come back in stock, more rumors about the HTC M8, and now I'm curious to see the build of this and if it will actually have a stylus. If there's any possibility of the new Snapdragon 805... *drool*

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I look forward to devices having 64GB of system memory, and the same amount of user-addressable memory.