Physical QWERTY vs. Virtual - what to do?

Reaction score
Hey guys! As my contract renewal is coming up in two weeks, I'm so ready to get a new phone. My problem is I have been using a physical QWERTY keyboard for four years now. Whenever I try to use the virtual ... I never hit the right letters, haha! Maybe it's something you have to get used to, but I'm really stuck between a rock and a hard place because the only two Motorola Droid phones that have physical QWERTYs are the Global 2 (which has already been out awhile, but I have heard it is a great phone) and the Droid Pro (which I haven't heard many good things about -- but perhaps someone on here has some positives). So - what to do?

Did you find it easy to adjust to a virtual keyboard, or are you a fan of the physical?

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
hi, I own both a Droid 2 global and the Droid x. the global of course has both keyboard and touch, which makes it even better. if u have small hands like myself, I believe u will be happy with it. the X is touch only with a pretty big screen and typing is easy. the draw back on both touch screens? it is very sensitive.
go with the Global, I think u will like it

sent from the Hawaiian D2G

technopeasant

Reaction score
Be sure to try swype before you decide. You didn't mention it so I'm presuming you're not familiar with it. Sorry if I'm incorrect there. Swype lets you slide your finger across the letters and then it figures out the word you want. My two cents is it makes the virtual keyboard about as fast as two finger typing on a full size physical keyboard. There are alternate virtual keyboards one can try, too. I'm a fast typist so before I got my DroidX I worried a dinky one would be a pain. But Sywpe works pretty well, particularly when you learn how to avoid its weaknesses. It has no sense of humor, unfortunately, and has to be taught slang, but that's the way it goes.
Be sure to do your experimenting with the virtual keyboard in landscape mode.

crowax

Reaction score
I think you should practice a bit on the touchscreen and see if you get used to it. I bought the original Droid for the physical keyboard. I used the keyboard for long messages, and the onscreen for a quick short message. It got to the point where I was faster on the onescreen keyboard. I havent slid open the physical keyboard in over a year. I still mistype letters here and there, but the auto correct usually takes care of it.

WildVke

Reaction score
I used a Qwerty keyboard from the first time I bought my first cell phone 10 yrs ago. I had a friend talk me into buying the DroidX. Now I can't believe I was hesitant about it in the first place. Mind you, the swype feature does take a bit to get use to. I thought at first it was gong to drive me crazy... Then I realized it had a training feature. Believe me once you have trained it and your fingers, you are virtually unstoppable !!!! I absolutely love it !!!! I would NEVER go back to a Qwerty. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

draexo

Reaction score
My two cents: I purchased a Global because of physical keyboard.... I swapped out with my wifes Droid X and after a few days you get used to virtual keyboard.

cadre.9

Reaction score
Here's another vote for the virtual keyboard with Swype. Took me a while to get the hang of it but I love it now.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I will admit that I use my virtual almost all the time....but I do find much use for the physical as well. I wouldn't want a phone without it right now.

music life

Reaction score
i would say wait until the droid 3 comes out with the physical and just decide which you like best.

i had a phone that had physical and virtual and i found myself using the physical 90% of the time. so im in the same boat as you.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you find it easy to adjust to a virtual keyboard, or are you a fan of the physical?
Depends on the specific keyboard you're talking about. There are good and bad options for both types. What I prefer doesn't matter. It's what you prefer that matters to you.

Don't overlook the keyboard app options. Try some out to see if they help. Swype's popular but it's not a one-size-fits-all solution.

Beka27

Reaction score
That D3 looks incredibly promising.

I love my DX, but in landscape, I feel it's just too wide, so I mostly use portrait for messaging... I think a 4 inch in landscape would be just about perfect...