Photo Gallery not Working

IrynMaydin

Reaction score
About a month ago, pictures taken with my phone no longer appeared in the Gallery. Instead of the picture, there's an icon. (The icon is grey with a picture of a photo and a film negative.) This icon appears in both "Camera Roll" and "All Photos". I tried shutting the phone off and rebooting. I deleted some pictures because I thought I may have maxed out the capacity. I tried using the camera this weekend, but it wouldn't bring the camera up. It kept going back to the home screen. Today when I try to use the camera, the camera is available and it even saved the picture. The problem is sporadic, but it happens more times than not. Any suggestions?

chrisnoelle

Reaction score
Same thing happening to me! Started about the same time instagram released for Android. I uninstalled instagram and it was OK, so I thought it was fixed, but then has continued, sporadically as you said. I've even tried taking the memory card out and seeing if the files open in my computer, and I get some sort of file error when I try to open any of the ones that show up with the grey icon. I would love to know what's causing it and also if there is any chance of recovering the photos that were taken.

OP
I

IrynMaydin

Reaction score
Glad to see I'm not alone in this. If you get an answer, let me know and I'll do the same.

OP
I

IrynMaydin

Reaction score
I'll check that out. Not sure how to do a Factory Data Reset, but I'll see what I can find. Thanks for the feedback.

OP
I

IrynMaydin

Reaction score
It looks like this will erase all personal information and downloaded applications. Does this mean I'll lose my contacts? I can download any applications I lose, but I'm not sure I know how to recover everything else. Just a bit apprehensive since I'm not very smart phone literate. :blink: Thanks again.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everything not on your SD card will be wiped, though I think contacts are stored in the System partition so they aren't affected either. If you haven't already simply sync your contacts to your Google account and worst case will be that you sync them back to restore them.