Photo File Numbering

aadair4

Reaction score
I don't understand the file numbering system for photos; it seems completely random and is very problematic for organizing photos. The date at the beginning, I understand...it's the ridiculous amount of numbers succeeding the date (complete with many dashes and underscores) with no logic that I can see (screenshot attached).

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please? Thanks in advance for your help!

Attachments

• image file numbering.jpg
    image file numbering.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 875

willybug

Reaction score
I also would like to understand the photo numbering on the Droid X. I do a lot of photo work (not usually with a cell phone) and would like to be able to set up the numbering so I could easily understand and organize in my directories. I would also like to know what all the extra stuff that is recorded with each photo??????

willybug

Reaction score
I just took two photos and downloaded to my computer. There were five files: (2) jpg images @ 2200kb, (2) jpg images @ 23kb (1) thumbdata @ 237kb. I do a lot of photo work and have never seen anything like this. I guess it must have to do with the operating system and the way it organizes for Droid usage.

Oh yeah, I still can't understand the numbering. I did set up a process to rename the files as they were downloaded to my computer. Although after the download the keep able images had some of the odd stuff between each image and therefore when done the new numbers were not consecutive.

Lord High Warlock

Reaction score
I'm not sure how it generates the last number, but the second set of numbers is the time stamp in military / 24-hour format.

i.e. 16-07-43 is 4:07:43PM.

Hope that helps some.

Reaction score
Yeah, its date-time and I think the 3 numbers at the end is seconds

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
A

aadair4

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks very much for the replies...that definitely ends the mystery...
I take a lot of pics and this is not too convenient!! Renumbering appears to be the right way to go. Thanks again.

willybug

Reaction score
Besides the lack of common sense numbering the download from my Droid x brings so much more. At this time I have one photo file on my Droid X but when I plug it to a USB cable connected to my computer the auto download is started and there are twenty five files identified for download. The files are *.wav from my usage of the GPS, cache files, game, thumbdata, etc. The point is I only want to download the photo file but all the other junk comes with it that I have to delete after the auto download. Yeah I can just use my file manager to copy only the photo files from the Droid X Camera directory but I would like to use the auto downloader. I would also like to receive simple numbering of images with of the files. See the attachment that auto downloaded when I plugged Droid X to my computer with a USB cable:

Attachments

• Droid Capture.JPG
    Droid Capture.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 954