Phone Upgrade Decision

jason6g

Reaction score
1) What phone should I go with?

I vote droid X if anything

2) I bought my OG Droid from Best Buy and not through Verizon, extended out for 2 more years, yadda yadda. If I were to put this "new" phone on my account as a replacement for my OG Droid using my current phone #, would I get dinged for the difference between regular price and the discounted price I paid for the OG Droid?

They will not charge you anything. Once you purchase equipment its yours to use or deactivate and let sit on a shelf.

There are several people i know who get phones from various places and are basically "upgrading" on a monthly basis.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK, so I want to play around with another phone besides my OG Droid. Obviously I want to root and install a cvpcs ROM on it. I'm not due for an upgrade until next December, so I'm looking to buy a phone off of eBay. Two questions:

1) What phone should I go with?
2) I bought my OG Droid from Best Buy and not through Verizon, extended out for 2 more years, yadda yadda. If I were to put this "new" phone on my account as a replacement for my OG Droid using my current phone #, would I get dinged for the difference between regular price and the discounted price I paid for the OG Droid?

Thanks for the input.

I bought my droid off ebay over a year ago when I was still in the middle of my contract. Your contract really commits you to their voice/data service, they don't care what equipment you use. If you bought a phone off ebay, you would just call them up and add it your account, no problem, no fees or anything like that. Just make sure the ESN is clean.

As to what to get, since you want to put a CC ROM on it, I guess an Inc or X is your best bet, those are the most stable I believe. Though to be honest I personally don't see much value added in grabbing one of those phones, but YMMV.

kevev99

Reaction score
Not sure what YMMV means. I was thinking incredible. Just looking for something more suped up than the good old droid to play with. I've been looking on ebay and craigslist. Trying to find the best price.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

RacingManiac

Reaction score
I am waiting for dual-core phones to come on full steam to even contemplate changing my OG Droid. With Sapph 2.0.0 the phones seems to get another kick in speed...

Thing is even if the new Motorola may not be rootable, if the stock setup is fast enough I might not bother with rooting it. The Stock Droid when running 2.1 was noticeably slower...but rooting it really made a difference...

Right now though I am looking to buy a dual-core tablet....