Phone Upgrade Decision

AuroEdge

Reaction score
I'm torn right now -- Fascinate or Droid 2? Or should I wait till early next year?

The reason why I'm posting here is that I am keeping Sapphire in mind for making this purchase.

lsdozer

Reaction score
I had a rooted D1 since last December, and loved it. Just bought a D2 for my son and an HTC Incredible for me.

To me, if you have a rooted D1, I wouldnt mess with the D2. There isnt much difference and the keyboard isnt noticeably better. Wait for something else.

I didnt play with a fascinate, wanted something thinner without a keyboard this time. I do like the Incredible

dbst

Reaction score
I would just wait till the Motorola "Terminator" comes out early next year and get that

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I would just wait till the Motorola "Terminator" comes out early next year and get that

Pointless. Just going to be as locked down and as hard to dev on as the recent motorola phones. I'd wait for an HTC or Sammy phone that comes around early next year. Those will keep up hardware wise and still be rootable, rommable, and also be able to change their kernel. Maybe something like the Inc HD or that crazy samsung phone that rumors have been floating around about.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you can wait until the spring, there should be some very nice devices out.

I myself am waiting to get something LTE-capable.

chadwick108

Reaction score
I totally agree with "tanknspank" I am definitely waiting for the terminator although I am due for an upgrade still running rooted droid 1 having fun with different roms and settings.

OP
A

AuroEdge

Reaction score
I had a feeling spring would be when many new phones hit the market. Boy does the Terminator sound exciting. Too bad it will most certainly be locked

OP
A

AuroEdge

Reaction score
I actually went ahead and got a Fascinate a couple weeks ago. Hurray Android 2.1! All told I do enjoy the battery life and brilliant display. The ROMs for it are nice but they're not anywhere near cvpcs quality

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually went ahead and got a Fascinate a couple weeks ago. Hurray Android 2.1! All told I do enjoy the battery life and brilliant display. The ROMs for it are nice but they're not anywhere near cvpcs quality

I know birdman is working on it. He is having some problems with sms in/out, but I know it's progressing nicely. Could be something to be on the lookout for :)

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you can hold off, I say wait. Don't waste the upgrade at this juncture.

Truly, while there are great phones out there, with LTE coming, dual core, etc. Wait until spring of next year to drop the one you have and make that upgrade really work for you hardware wise.

To change up, while other roms may not be as stable as ours :) you could try out a few just to make things interesting for your current phone, and that is like getting a new one anyways!

OP
A

AuroEdge

Reaction score

I know birdman is working on it. He is having some problems with sms in/out, but I know it's progressing nicely. Could be something to be on the lookout for :)

Right you are Ken (MXC)! The AOSP project he's contributing to looks great. Can't wait till it's out of alpha

[ROM] ALPHA - AOSP for Samsung Fascinate by jt1134 - xda-developers

Dash1b

Reaction score

Pointless. Just going to be as locked down and as hard to dev on as the recent motorola phones. I'd wait for an HTC or Sammy phone that comes around early next year. Those will keep up hardware wise and still be rootable, rommable, and also be able to change their kernel. Maybe something like the Inc HD or that crazy samsung phone that rumors have been floating around about.

Agree 100%... I was happy for Motorola when they rocked the mobile world with the D1 and have been reaping the enjoyment of root access on it. That said, I'm sad to see that they've chosen to appease big V and other carriers and lock future devices.

I'm holding my upgrade for one of the other manufacturers with rootable hardware.

kevev99

Reaction score
OK, so I want to play around with another phone besides my OG Droid. Obviously I want to root and install a cvpcs ROM on it. I'm not due for an upgrade until next December, so I'm looking to buy a phone off of eBay. Two questions:

1) What phone should I go with?
2) I bought my OG Droid from Best Buy and not through Verizon, extended out for 2 more years, yadda yadda. If I were to put this "new" phone on my account as a replacement for my OG Droid using my current phone #, would I get dinged for the difference between regular price and the discounted price I paid for the OG Droid?

Thanks for the input.

OP
A

AuroEdge

Reaction score
1) This really depends on what you want. Is a 4.3" too big for ya? Brand name preference?
2) I can't answer this. I will say my Motorola Droid broke and I took it into Verizon. They let me purchase a new phone at new customer price even though I was 10 months from upgrade.

kevev99

Reaction score
To be honest I have no "brand" preference. Frankly a Droid 2 is pointless since I have the OG Droid. No issue with a 4.3" screen. I don't need a physical keyboard. So I'm pretty open, although I had a bad experience with Samsung in the past (Glyde...puke).

I just don't want to get dinged with some charge on my bill for $300-$400 for the phone price difference. It's not like I'm dropping data service, just want to swap phones from time to time and play around.