Phone Speed Dial

ConectUS

Reaction score
I am a few days into my new Incredible. I have everything working but I don't love the method to make phone calls from contacts. I was using a BlackBerry and could assign a speed dial location by alphabet letters. On the Android it seems I can only have 8 speed dial contacts assigned to numbers 2-9. Does anyone know of an app that would work similar to the BlackBerry method?

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am a few days into my new Incredible. I have everything working but I don't love the method to make phone calls from contacts. I was using a BlackBerry and could assign a speed dial location by alphabet letters. On the Android it seems I can only have 8 speed dial contacts assigned to numbers 2-9. Does anyone know of an app that would work similar to the BlackBerry method?

You can make a folder with contact shortcuts contained within or just a contact shortcut on your desktop...or use one desktop screen for just contact shortcuts.

You also can use speech to dial.

Gesture, by Google, a free market app also makes it real easy to "write" out someone's name, letter by letter and find them in your contacts. This app also will search for songs or applications the same way.

There are a few other apps you might try from the market, just search for "speed dial".

OP
C

ConectUS

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I will try your ideas and see which works best for me.

Dennis

Reaction score
If you like the gesture concept, you can try our new app, Sign, which will dial or text by signing on the homescreen. We found that the Google Gesture API was insufficient to rely on as a dialer, so we developed our own gesture recognition system to improve the accuracy and reliability. Google's Gesture search is good for searching, but way too slow to be a speed dialer.

More info here.

Reaction score
try making a folder with Direct Dial contacts. I did that using the Folderorganizer App and it works out awesome. I keep the folder on my launcherPro Dock. you just open the folder and hit the icon representing the contact. no long pressing and no navigating through a huge contacts list.