Phone running slow / sluggish

cooltc2004

Reaction score
My phone has been running more and more sluggish lately, lagging a lot within the past week. I've installed and un installed quite a bit, is there a program to help optimize the perforce of the phone? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a motorola droid, not rooted. Thanks

movadoevo8

Reaction score
I'm going to say its most likely one app or 2 at most killing your performance. Prob a suck programmed app that hogs lots of memory.

Id uninstall most apps and reboot and see how the phone feels. Download a backup prog so you can backup ur apps and easily begin to install them back and test until u find out which one is making your phone lag.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
cooltc2004

cooltc2004

Reaction score
I saw the suggestions about the task killers before I downloaded one, so I never installed one. I deleted some apps and it's a little better but still not like stock. Does installing and un installing hurt your droid os like windows? I realize its linux based but I'm not the most familiar with linux.

OP
cooltc2004

cooltc2004

Reaction score
Also, when you long press on the home button it shows apps that are running in the background, how do you close these apps?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any damage uninstalling/instaling roms may cause. I imagine that cache may get burdened.

To stop an app tap menu, tap settings, tap applications, tap running services. Tap any service you wish to stop.

Mike

eliassami5

Reaction score
Also, when you long press on the home button it shows apps that are running in the background, how do you close these apps?

wrong..those are RECENTLY USED APPS. They may be running or they may not be. I would suggest installing an app killer like advanced task manager from the market just to keep in case you do need to kill an app. Just open it up and see whats running in the background. Dont be alarmed if there are lots of things going on, thats normal. Check to see how much available memory there is at the top, stock should have like 30-40mb of free memory once the phone gets settled down. Just go ahead and kill all the apps once, and see if that makes it any better. But before you do that try going to settings> applications> running services and see there if an app that you have downloaded is using up a lot of memory, if it is then uninstall it.

boscharun

Reaction score
Three things.
1. Try killing running apps one by one using something like task killer. That would help identify a rogue app causing problems.
2. Check if you have any app/software installed to increase battery life. Many do so by making phone run slower.
3. Try overclocking your phone. That could speed it up. SetCpu is the best app - How to Overclock Android