Rooting Questions

Fender890

Reaction score
Hello Everyone:).

Over the weekend I bought a Droid X from Verizon. My fist android phone. However I don't like all the useless apps and wish to overclock my cpu a little.(1.2-1.5).

However I understand you must root your phone to do this. I searched all over google and this site but can't find someone in quite the same situation as me. I ONLY wish to root my phone to delete some bloatware and speed my X up a little. I don't want to install roms or remove motoblur or anything. My question is can someone tell me the easiest way to do this?

I've seen the one click root and un-root program for the X but i've yet to see anyone confirm if it works. Any help on what steps I should take a greatly appreciated.

If it helps I'm running Android 2.2.1 Sorry if this has been posted before, I searched and found some close matches but couldn't understand what they were talking about.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There's an app available for the phone that will root it. It isn't available but if you go on Google on your phone and search

z4root apk

And download the app, you can instal it and be rooted in a few minutes.

tappin and a talkin

OP
Fender890

Fender890

Reaction score
Wow thanks I'll try it. Also how hard is it to unroot my phone because I've been told that rooted phones can't receive Android Updates through verizon.

OP
Fender890

Fender890

Reaction score
My phone says it "Cannot download. The content is not supported on this phone" sorry if this is a noob problem:icon_ nono2:

OP
Fender890

Fender890

Reaction score
Wait. Apparently the site was giving me a bad file. I found it!

Okay i've started the process....Will any changes I make stay in effect if I unroot?

Ummm.....How long should this take? It's said "Running exploit in order to obtain root access" for about 5mins now.

Last edited:

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
You may not want to remove that bloatware. From what I have read, it may cause trouble with OTA updates.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Fender890

Fender890

Reaction score
You may not want to remove that bloatware. From what I have read, it may cause trouble with OTA updates.

All right I guess I can live with them.

Currently I've installed "Droid Overclock" from the marketplace. Is this a good program? If so, what would you recommend for CPU speed.

Last edited:
OP
Fender890

Fender890

Reaction score
Yeah, for some reason I thought that the X was running 1.2ghz stock like the Droid 2 global.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
It can, just not stock. ;)

Heck, my D1 can run 1.2GHz, and on LV kernels, too.

But at 1.5GHz your phone has a VERY good chance of overheating and you don't want that.

OP
Fender890

Fender890

Reaction score
I really haven't noticed a difference between 1.2 and 1.5ghz so I tuned it down just to be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the help guys!

andjarnic

Reaction score
Little confused.. D1 is 580Mhz (600..500?), and you can up it by 600 to 700mhz, but you cant up the droid X by more than about 200 or so?

I did root my D1 a while ago, before OTA froyo, and I ran it at 1Ghz and it was fine, never tried 1.2. Figured that was almost double and not a good idea since I didn't want it to burn out.

Hoping with 2.3 OTA (or rooted sooner than later), my D1 will last me till I can upgrade to the Bionic.