Phone Rankings list?

cdogg777

Reaction score
I am looking for a new phone for my wife. She has a broken Galaxy Nexus. We have the ability to pay $99 to get a new phone through insurance. But we are looking at used-no-contract phones. Since there is such a plethora of available phones I am wondering if there is a list somewhere, I've googled quite a bit, that shows each phone and how they currently rank. Obviously some of the more closer phones would be based mostly on opinions(Note II vs DNA vs Nexus4 for example). But I am trying to find out if I can get a better phone than a Galaxy Nexus for under $150 used. And I'd like to refer to some list. The problem with these sites that have a numerical ranking is that, for example, when the SII came out maybe it got a 8.0 rating, then the S3 came out and got an 8.0 ranking? Obviously the S3 is better than S2, but their "rating" is the same.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Any phone ranking scale is mostly a matter of personal opinion, unless they're talking specs. Obviously the s3 has better specs than the s3 and the s4 has better specs than the s3, however it still comes down to what you need. I'm assuming, you're on Verizon and would need a carrier specific device. Any phone released after the Nexus came out is a good phone; s4, DNA, Note 2, etc. It all comes down to what your wife wants in a phone. So I recommend that she heads to a Verizon store, or any other store that sells phones, and messes around with them and see which one she likes the best. Moto just released a new Droid lineup, the One just became available a few days ago, and Samsung is having an event next week regarding the Note 3. She has plenty of choices to choose from.

Also regarding the ranking scale, they can't change the scale every time a new generation of phone comes out. So the scale is usually based on a comparison to phones released in the same generation. The S2 ranked an 8 against its generation of phones and the s3 ranked an 8 for its generation of phones.

A good site I always recommend for used phones is Swappa.com.

NOVICE

Reaction score
Personally, I think almost any relatively new phone would be better than the Galaxy Nexus.

And having purchased 3 Samsung phones post-GNexus, I found that Samsung wasn't the problem.

That's not snark; just a suggestion that you can't get radios much worse than those of the GNexus.

Speedy Internet is of particular importance to me.

OP
C

cdogg777

Reaction score
Any phone ranking scale is mostly a matter of personal opinion, unless they're talking specs. Obviously the s3 has better specs than the s3 and the s4 has better specs than the s3, however it still comes down to what you need. I'm assuming, you're on Verizon and would need a carrier specific device. Any phone released after the Nexus came out is a good phone; s4, DNA, Note 2, etc. It all comes down to what your wife wants in a phone. So I recommend that she heads to a Verizon store, or any other store that sells phones, and messes around with them and see which one she likes the best. Moto just released a new Droid lineup, the One just became available a few days ago, and Samsung is having an event next week regarding the Note 3. She has plenty of choices to choose from.

Also regarding the ranking scale, they can't change the scale every time a new generation of phone comes out. So the scale is usually based on a comparison to phones released in the same generation. The S2 ranked an 8 against its generation of phones and the s3 ranked an 8 for its generation of phones.

A good site I always recommend for used phones is Swappa.com.
Yes, we are verizon. Any phone in that range, S4/DNA/Note2, is going to be way too expensive used or new.
I am trying to find out if I can get a better phone than a Galaxy Nexus for under $150 used

Right, that's what I meant to say. They are rated against the current stats. Which is why I was wanted a ranking of phones, add the new ones to the top...most likely...but at least we can see where each phone potentially ranks in the long list of devices.

This site seems cool if you know what you are looking for. Pretty poor searching and browsing system though.

Or even a generational listing? So one generation we had the DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Thunderbolt? What was the next generation? S3,...then we get the Nexus4, NoteII, DNA, now we got S4, Note 3, iphone5...i dunno.

Personally, I think almost any relatively new phone would be better than the Galaxy Nexus.
Yes, very much so. Maybe I worded my post poorly =/ I know any new phone is better, the nexus is OLD(in phone years). But any new phone is also way more expensive. I need to quantify the price vs quality to see if we should go for a used phone or replace this SGN.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes, we are verizon. Any phone in that range, S4/DNA/Note2, is going to be way too expensive used or new.

Right, that's what I meant to say. They are rated against the current stats. Which is why I was wanted a ranking of phones, add the new ones to the top...most likely...but at least we can see where each phone potentially ranks in the long list of devices.

This site seems cool if you know what you are looking for. Pretty poor searching and browsing system though.

Or even a generational listing? So one generation we had the DROID RAZR, Galaxy Nexus, Thunderbolt? What was the next generation? S3,...then we get the Nexus4, NoteII, DNA, now we got S4, Note 3, iphone5...i dunno.

Yes, very much so. Maybe I worded my post poorly =/ I know any new phone is better, the nexus is OLD(in phone years). But any new phone is also way more expensive. I need to quantify the price vs quality to see if we should go for a used phone or replace this SGN.
1. Understandable. You should be able to grab an s3 for a great price and it's a phone I'm sure she'll be happy with. I think the Razr Maxx may be in the same price range, also the DNA. Off the top of my head I can't think of anything else, but all are comparable to the Nexus.

The only other phone I tried from that generation was the s3 and I liked it, but I ended up selling it since I didn't find it to be too much of an upgrade over my Nexus. Plus I was a flash-o-holic back then and I went through ROMs almost every other week and the ROM selection couldn't be beat.

2. You're about right on the generation of phones. So I would personally recommend the s3, Note II (though still quite expensive for now, wait til next week for Note 3 announcement and price drops may occur), Razr Maxx, and DNA or Rezound.