Phone randomly turning off, not turning on

vett96mik

Reaction score
I'm typing this on my phone, but throughout the day it has started to have issues. When I turn the screen off, it will completely shutdown and take several presses of the power button to get it to turn on. Sometimes I'll hold the power button and it will vibrate and nothing will happen, it won't turn on. I've tried pulling the battery, the SIM card while off, and the SD card while off. It continues to shut down. I never had this issue before I updated to KitKat but ever since I've updated I've experience a litany of problems. I factory restored it about two days ago so I don't want to go through that again. Any suggestions are welcomed, please help. Thanks.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Looks like you certainly took the right steps. When this started happening, do you recall adding any apps? Just for fun, try changing the sleep settings and see if the issue persists.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Do you have any apps that deal automatically with system settings, such as Tasker?

OP
V

vett96mik

Reaction score
How don't have any apps that do such things and I haven't downloaded any new apps since since I switched to KitKat so I'm not sure why this would start now. I actually had it working for a few hours until it just shutdown while I was opening my Messaging app about 20 minutes ago. It took about 15 tries get it started up again, I tried a different battery (my old GS3 battery) and it didn't work at first then then I tried it a fourth time after trying my GS4 battery several more times and my phone started with the GS3 battery.

OP
V

vett96mik

Reaction score
The S3 battery is the same length but not as wide, so it fits but doesn't fill the entire battery slot. After about 40 minutes of use on the S3 battery my phone shut off again, so I'm pretty sure it's not a battery issue.

OP
V

vett96mik

Reaction score
So the current state is: I remove the battery, hold the power button, the Samsung Galaxy S4 logo appears for about 2 seconds, then the screen goes black.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I would definitely advise against using a battery in your phone that is not intended for that particular device. That's the quickest way to cause problems to your hardware & could cause harm to your processer. You might look on the outside of both batteries and make sure they are the same amps & voltage. If not, stick with the correct battery for your device.
Good luck! Hopefully someone will have a suggestion to fix this problem. :thumbup:

tap'n

Last edited:
OP
V

vett96mik

Reaction score
Clearly the batteries aren't the issue. These problems were occurring before I tried to solve them with alternating batteries.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I get that, but you're likely to cause a new problem by putting a battery in that isn't intended to go in that particular phone.
(just a suggestion)

tap'n

OP
V

vett96mik

Reaction score
I understand, but will the phone not working as it is I'm willing to try a few different things.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The easiest thing to do is bring the phone to your retailer and have them put a battery in. See if it turns on/off normally.

OP
V

vett96mik

Reaction score
I actually went today. When I got to the Verizon store all the guy did was ask if I have insurance, I replied yes, he then gave me a number to call. That's it, not super helpful.