Phone Lockup

OP
KerrAvon

KerrAvon

Reaction score
Does anybody know if the dev's read these posts?
Are they aware of this problem?
Can we get a comment from one of them on whether this is a known issue and will be fixed with 1.5?

jeff0r3

Reaction score
I think in order to give the devs an idea of what the problem might actually be, more information about what your running on the phone needs to be added. What Launcher, theme, apps running, wifi/3G, what exactly you were doing when it happened. Just a suggestion.

Reaction score
I think in order to give the devs an idea of what the problem might actually be, more information about what your running on the phone needs to be added. What Launcher, theme, apps running, wifi/3G, what exactly you were doing when it happened. Just a suggestion.

Agreed. Being a software developer myself I know the worst thing is when people come to you and say "it broke." Then you say "well how" and they send you the generic "this application has stopped working" message and say "it just crashed." "Well what were you doing", the reply is always "I don't know".

I think this is a fairly serious issue though. I have had the phone come back from it sometimes and not others. I think if you wait long enough it always will come back but I get impatient, lol.

I haven't been able to tie it to a specific event yet. Last night I had my sd card out so I had the phone off. When I booted it back up it worked fine for about a minute. Then I set it down and left it alone for about another minute. When I went to use it again it was locked out.

This rules out over and under clocking because it had just started up and I dont have it set to do this on boot. I also didn't have wifi or bluetooth on. I have the yellow theme installed and have it set to 190 lcd density.

My fiancées phone also does this and she never turns on wifi. She is running pretty much standard settings with the pink life GB theme. Her phone seems to recover better than mine though. Hers always seems to come back in a few seconds and never reboots. I did set hers to LV but I'm sure she has rebooted since then.

There is no way the clock changes could have residual effects even after they are turned off is there?

I ran GummyJAR before Liberty and never had this problem. That should narrow it down to changes made for Liberty.

validoption

Reaction score
I can also narrow it down to just something with Liberty.

SBFd to .320
Reboot, root, recovery
Flash .340 system SBF, kernel (and baseband for good measure)
Reboot, root, recovery
Flash liberty
Set up basic account stuff, no additional apps installed.
Problem still crops up.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Casen

Reaction score
I can narrow my problems at least down. It usually happens after I get a text message. I have LPP, Widget Locker and ChompSMS.. Every time my phone has done this, I had just got a text message, and i use the lockscreen option to read and respond to the text message from chomp. It will usually freeze when i dont respond to the message and turn the screen off.. Then when I go to turn it on, its froze..

The freeze seems to completely overtax the CPU, causing it to overheat and reboot.. My phone is always warm when it freezes up..

TL;DR: Issue seems to happen when I get a text message popup on the lockscreen that i dont acknowledge..

Chrussell1215

Reaction score
Rom: Liberty v1.0
Theme: Linear (downloaded and installed from Liberty toolbox)
Launcher: Both ADWex and LPP
Wifi/3g status: Lockups usually occur when I'm on wifi but i've also had lockups on 3g when my wifi is off

I'm having these same problems 2 to 3 times a day while doing different things on the phone. This morning it locked up when I was listening to a podcast I had downloaded on dogcatcher. The podcast continued to play, and the hard buttons on stayed lit but my phone wouldn't respond. After 5 minuets or so the phone roobooted on it's own. I can't think of anything specific that I am doing during the times of the lockups, I will occasionally have lockups when I plug my phone into charge or unplug it from the charger.

If the lockups continue I'll take closer note to what I am doing when they happen and post here.

Edit - Just had it lock up and reboot on me again... This time all I did was turn the phone on to check the time... When I hit the lock button to shut off the screen it froze for about 1 minuet then rebooted...

jen7724

Reaction score
Same problem here!

ROM: Liberty v1.0
Theme: Matte Blues
Launcher: LPP

Happens whether I'm on wifi or 3g. I have to pull my battery and reboot.

Also, there's been a number of times when I'm on a phone call and the other party will all of a sudden not be able to hear me anymore. I look at the screen and it's on a different type of call screen, I have to pull the drop screen down and hit current call for them to hear me again. And no, its never been on mute. Anyone else had this issue as well?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Casen

Reaction score
Same problem here!

Also, there's been a number of times when I'm on a phone call and the other party will all of a sudden not be able to hear me anymore. I look at the screen and it's on a different type of call screen, I have to pull the drop screen down and hit current call for them to hear me again. And no, its never been on mute. Anyone else had this issue as well?

I've also had the occasional problem where the other person couldn't hear me

Sent from my DROIDX

Chrussell1215

Reaction score
Same problem here!

I've also had the occasional problem where the other person couldn't hear me

Sent from my DROIDX

+1 - I've had this happen as well once or twice...

wamphyri_noble

Reaction score
Possible Solution?

I was able to fix my problem of the phone locking up, whether or not it sticks is another matter.

I was using GO SMS to take care of my txt'ing.

One contact had 206 txt's when the problem started, # 206 seemed to create the problem this time around.

In the stock txt'ing app limit was set to 200. I figured since I should not be able to have more than 200 txt's this might be the problem, so i deleted the entire conversation. I still had the problem. I also tried to increase the limit in the stock txt app with still no luck.

I deleted the go sms app and then tried to put the phone into sleep mode. Yet again no luck

I rebooted by pulling my battery and then putting it back in.

The lockup problem seems to be fixed for the moment. I will see if the lockup occurs again in the next week or so.

wooddale

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has had these problem on Liberty with just the stock theme?

Just had it happen today acctually my wife I think it may be because you pull the screen down while your talking. Ive never had it happen to me

AlexSB

Reaction score
I've been having this too, I was running Mysterious Beast theme for Liberty. Today in the afternoon was the last time it happened, did a battery pull, and now jus returned to stock liberty theme and so far so good.

Ill do a nandroid back up soon, there's something about straight up switching between themes that kind of worries me lol

Liberated Droid II