Phone keeps shutting off

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
If I bump my phone or for example let it drop 1 inch and land on a desk it shuts off. Sometimes it I toss it onto my bed it will shut off instantly as well. I'm thinking the battery isn't secure or something because if I take the battery cover off and push down on the battery then bump it against my hand it doesn't shut off. Does anyone else have this problem? What should I do?

Grabraham

Reaction score
I have ot had this issue. Does your battery cover have a ~ 1" x 3/4" black piece of foam on the back (against battery when on the phone)

Grabraham

Reaction score
this is what it should look like ( at least on mine)

Attachments

• 2010-03-20 02.38.16.jpg
    2010-03-20 02.38.16.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 389
OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
wow that looks nothing like mine lol is yours an Eris?
Heres mine:
zinewk.jpg

Grabraham

Reaction score
sorry... i dint notice this was an eris question :) I thought we were talkin droid.. ignore me ;) looks like drunken helping is worse than drunkin rooting :(

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
lol I figured as much you got one weird lookin Eris :p

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
Well I just called HTC and he wasn't much help. After I suggested it was the battery he was like "oh yeah that must be it!" sigh. I guess I'll go down to Verizon and ask them what to do.

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
I went to Verizon today and they put a new battery and battery cover on my phone free of charge and it fixed the problem :icon_ banana:

OP
wyzzerdd

wyzzerdd

Reaction score
lol I'm glad they didn't charge me for a new battery or give me a new phone, it took me forever to get my precious Eris just the way I like it lol

sandfreak

Reaction score
I fully charged my phone before installing a new rom.

After running into some problems I finally had the new rom, kernel and theme installed. by that time i was at 50%.

I like to let my battery die completely after installing a new rom then let it charge fully (read somewhere that this is good for the battery)

so at 50% i started setting up my phone and re installing my apps via titanium backup.

i got the alert at 15% battery life...so i figured anytime now i would get the message saying the phone is powering down.

well i never got the power down message, it just started freezing and rebooting.

i have it on the charger now and it just keeps rebooting over and over again. it gets to the lock screen and reboots.

i'm assuming all that i can do is just leave it on the charger but it doesnt seem that this is doing any good.

help please :)

edit: the last couple reboots it hasn't even made it to the lock screen. now it freezes during the boot animation and reboots

edit #2: it just rebooted to the lock screen again, without touching the phone i just looked at it and it said battery level is 30% then it immediately rebooted again. and again...it freezes in the boot animation...

Last edited:

sandfreak

Reaction score
well i'm assuming it was in issue with the battery. i pulled it for about a minute after being on the charger for a while and it seems to be working ok now.

edit: apparently i spoke too soon.

while on the charger i proceeded to finish installing my apps via titanium and it has frozen again.

only thing i can think to do is just leave it alone for a while and let it continue to charge then try installing my apps.

just wanted to know what the "pros" suggest :)

Last edited:

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What ROM?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)