Phone got wet - NOT

shockracer

Reaction score
Yes, I understand that. I now that if the phone gets completely submerged it is shot. However, as I said - I dropped it once while it was raining. It is working fine. I think the moisture sensor is way to sensitive, that's all!!!
They are vary sensitive, my wife had her LG chocolate in the bathroom with her on the counter and the steam from the shower was enough for them to change, still made a big piss about it that VZW exchanged it free of charge.

My otterbox covered my a$$ a couple of times.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
They are vary sensitive, my wife had her LG chocolate in the bathroom with her on the counter and the steam from the shower was enough for them to change, still made a big piss about it that VZW exchanged it free of charge.

My otterbox covered my a$$ a couple of times.

Actually that's a good point. They even told me that at the store that a shower could cause the indicator to trip. I'll call up Verizon and see where I get with them.

Thanks!!

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Actually that's a good point. They even told me that at the store that a shower could cause the indicator to trip. I'll call up Verizon and see where I get with them.

Thanks!!

So I called Verizon and the they send me a new phone. However, the customer rep told me that if they take it apart and find that there is water damage they will charge me for a new phone - $399. I just got the replacement and have not yet activated it. Now I am paranoid!! How do I know they really find anything wrong with the phone and just charge me anyway.

Has anyone heard of Verizon actually charging for a replacement phone? Could I just send this refurb back, wait a couple of months and then just use an upgrade that I will have by then?

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
So I called Verizon and the they send me a new phone. However, the customer rep told me that if they take it apart and find that there is water damage they will charge me for a new phone - $399. I just got the replacement and have not yet activated it. Now I am paranoid!! How do I know they really find anything wrong with the phone and just charge me anyway.

Has anyone heard of Verizon actually charging for a replacement phone? Could I just send this refurb back, wait a couple of months and then just use an upgrade that I will have by then?

Yes they do really charge. But unless you really damaged it, if you're honest with yourself you know if you did or not.

I've never had an issue with the water indicator. My Droid 2 fell and the back cover and battery came off. All three pieces slid down concrete into the river and the phone and indicator were both fine. I later sent it back a couple months later because the digitizer died for unrelated reasons. Was never charged.

dan j

Reaction score

Thanks!!
That's the problem I have with the sensors. I have had clock radios, hair dryers and other junk in my bathrooms for decades. Now I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but come on, they can't make a phone that stands up to a humid shower better than a decade old hair dryer?

I understand the point behind the sensors, but I think manufacturers are using them to justify and/or avoid fixing unrelated failures by making them extremely sensitive.

VidJunky

Reaction score
Folks

I didn't want to start anything with my threat...

Well that's usually what a threat is. Away to start something. lol

Meanwhile on a serious note, I'm not getting the high and mighty thing. No one has suggested anything underhanded or deceitful, like; run over it with your car, say it was stolen, or any multitude of other less honest things. And the whole "We don't promote insurance fraud here at DF..." was so out of line that it's not funny. I don't believe the thread was titled "How can I get my phone replaced if I got it wet?" or anything. Posters need to slow down and pay closer attention to what is being said and not go off half cocked.

Anyway to the OP, I'm sorry to hear about your dust issue. Have you tried compressed air? There are some good brands that are really strong while there are some crap brands that will not blow out a match. I would go on-line and check some reviews then go to my local BB or OM and at least try one. I just wish I had some better advice since that's what these threads are about, not coming up with my own twisted sense of morality and criticizing something that's not even happening.

Good luck.

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
Well that's usually what a threat is. Away to start something. lol
Anyway to the OP, I'm sorry to hear about your dust issue. Have you tried compressed air? There are some good brands that are really strong while there are some crap brands that will not blow out a match. I would go on-line and check some reviews then go to my local BB or OM and at least try one.

Thanks for the advice. I actually bought a bottle of compressed air from the local Staples. But it wasn't nearly strong enough to move any dust. But I'll go on-line to see if I can find something stronger.

dan j

Reaction score

so what happened with the old phone? What new phone did you get?

OP
P

PatG

Reaction score
so what happened with the old phone? What new phone did you get?

Well, I got the phone. It was sitting on my kitchen table. Then I chickened out. I had an upgrade coming in another couple of months and did't want to risk Verizon claiming the phone was wet, then stuck using my upgrade on the refurb. So I send it back. I was going to use the upgrade on an S3; but then the news of the "imminent" release of the S4 was coming out.

So I am still using the phone until the S4 is released on Verizon. Hopefully next month.