Phone contacts to Gmail Contacts

killer2239

Reaction score
Hey all, My friend switched from his iPhone 3g yesterday to Verizon with the HTC Incredible. Verizon did a contacts transfer for him at the store. So it copied his contacts over. All his contacts are listed as "Phone" contacts. Is there a way to make them all convert over to contacts on his Gmail account?

I had all my contacts on gmail before i bought the phone so when i logged in all my contacts transfered fine. He wants to have the same setup where he controls his contacts by gmail and they update to his phone.

Any way to do this, or app or anything?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey all, My friend switched from his iPhone 3g yesterday to Verizon with the HTC Incredible. Verizon did a contacts transfer for him at the store. So it copied his contacts over. All his contacts are listed as "Phone" contacts. Is there a way to make them all convert over to contacts on his Gmail account?

I had all my contacts on gmail before i bought the phone so when i logged in all my contacts transfered fine. He wants to have the same setup where he controls his contacts by gmail and they update to his phone.

Any way to do this, or app or anything?

:welcome: to the Droid Forums. I don't have the Incredible but it seems to me the best way to proceed it so go to their gmail contacts on line, click all the contacts he wants in My contacts, go to settings/accounts & sync/ and make sure that sync contacts and sync gmail are checked on the Incredible. It should sync with gmail.

OP
killer2239

killer2239

Reaction score
Thats the problem. All the contacts that were transfered from his iphone show up as Phone contacts. So they are not automatically going to his gmail contacts. Like if you add a new contact, you can select the account its for, or just put it on the phone. But he wants to convert the "phone" contacts to "gmail" contacts.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thats the problem. All the contacts that were transfered from his iphone show up as Phone contacts. So they are not automatically going to his gmail contacts. Like if you add a new contact, you can select the account its for, or just put it on the phone. But he wants to convert the "phone" contacts to "gmail" contacts.

It took some searching but I think this will work:

What worked for me was a simpler version of what others have said. Nothing was syncing, and if I opened the contacts that were transferred to my droid from my old phone, and clicked edit contact, there was a message at the top that said "phone only, unsyncable". Here's what I did:
1. export contacts in phone onto SD card
2. import contacts from SD card .vcf file into gmail contacts
3. Done.

As you can see that's a post I copied. Looks like this is what your friend needs to do.

r7av7en7

Reaction score
Thanks guys. it was my phone that was in question, I was able to export to the sd and into gmail. Works like a charm.