Phantom touches on multiple D1's

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
OK this is wierd. So my phone started running itself Sunday night.
To the point where it is pretty much un-usable.
It makes phone calls on its own, it types gibberish on its own, it's just very odd. It even snoozed my alarm twice this morning.
My replacement is on the way. I am not posting for help. I am posting to see who else has this issue because here is the wierd part.
My wife's phone is doing it too, but sporadically. It will be fine for an hour but then will randomly call someone.
My Babysitters Droid is acting the same as my wifes.
My wife's co-workers son is doing it, too!
So... 4 Droids over this weekend doing almost the same thing (but none as bad as mine). This can't be a coincidence.

Anyone?

ogbt88

Reaction score
I had the same thing happen my first droid too. I figured it was just getn old.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

lockman

Reaction score
Had my D1 replaced twice, and my wife's this past week sure to this issue. One tech support person that I spoked to inferred this this it's a known issue. Who knows? It is kinda funny to watch tho.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
OK this is wierd. So my phone started running itself Sunday night.
To the point where it is pretty much un-usable.
It makes phone calls on its own, it types gibberish on its own, it's just very odd. It even snoozed my alarm twice this morning.
My replacement is on the way. I am not posting for help. I am posting to see who else has this issue because here is the wierd part.
My wife's phone is doing it too, but sporadically. It will be fine for an hour but then will randomly call someone.
My Babysitters Droid is acting the same as my wifes.
My wife's co-workers son is doing it, too!
So... 4 Droids over this weekend doing almost the same thing (but none as bad as mine). This can't be a coincidence.

Anyone?

Has it started talking out loud - like the little girl in the Exorcist movie? :)
Forgive me, my sense of humor sometimes goes to extremes.

-Mike

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I have seen this happen. The most common causes are: a Task Killer, a rouge app, or the use of an aftermarket charger.

I would suggest if you have a Task Killer installed get rid of it asap. They are not needed on the Android OS and frankly cause more problems then they are worth.

Second, did you install any new apps or updates around the time this activity started?? If so remove the new app or the updated app and see if the problem resolves.

Finally if you are using an aftermarket charger, charging off your computer or using a car charger, I would stop. Try to only use the charger that came with your droid or if you need purchase a new one from Verizon that is made for the droid. Just because the plug fits does not mean that it is good to use.

If none of these suggestions fix your phone, I would say that you need to take it back to Verizon and have it replaced.

mondieu1724

Reaction score
Solution - Cache and Dalvik Cache

My Verizon car charger stopped functioning a year ago and I've been using an inverter with a Blackberry Tour charger plugged in to charge my Droid. Horrible results of course as the screen has always been unresponsive. But it went completely rogue last week after I first dropped it on concrete - slight ding on case and 3 minute hunt for the battery - then installed latest CM7. Later on a brief road trip I plugged into the inverter but when I disconnected from the charger it began sending rogue emails and phone calls and surfing the web on its own.

I had to reboot into recovery wipe and nandroid restore. Now that is where I made my mistake as things just got progressively worst. I unrooted, installed 2.01 OS, still with same problem. Portions of the screen were inoperable as typing a "j", "k", "p" all sent the letter "a" as input. It certainly seemed like it was hardware related. So I went to Verizon; their techs concurred, and they have a guaranteed like new replacement coming to me.

However, when I returned home I decided to give it one more go. I reinstalled Rom Manager, booted into recovery and wiped cache and Dalvik cache maybe 30 times apiece. I also wiped Data the customary 3 times. I then reinstalled CM7 -winneroo's latest along with Prime's Deprimed kernel and GAPPS of course.

Success, the phone is performing like new! Screen is responsive in all areas. I am only using the original charger and will order another spare battery for automobile use rather than subject it to the inverter in the car.

I will probably switch this device for the Guaranteed like-new replacement as the manufacturers warranty was actually 12 days past and they (Verizon) were astonishingly kind enough to honor the warranty anyway!