Phantom email and what's new in gmail message

GoGators

Reaction score
I know I have seen this in the forum and cannot find the thread. I have an email that I delete, and later, I get a notification that I have an unread email. The only way to see it is to clear app data, and let it reload from the google server. When I delete it again, it is gone for only a few minutes, and the whole process begins again.

Also, now my gmail app continues to give me the welcome message from the 2.2.1 update every time I open the app. Anyone else had this issue? It started doing that after I cleared data a couple of times trying to get rid of the phantom email.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know I have seen this in the forum and cannot find the thread. I have an email that I delete, and later, I get a notification that I have an unread email. The only way to see it is to clear app data, and let it reload from the google server. When I delete it again, it is gone for only a few minutes, and the whole process begins again.

Also, now my gmail app continues to give me the welcome message from the 2.2.1 update every time I open the app. Anyone else had this issue? It started doing that after I cleared data a couple of times trying to get rid of the phantom email.

Have you tried going though all your recent mail to see if it clears it up? This had usually worked for me, even if I couldn't see one that wasn't marked read.

I honestly don't know what causes the second message to come up. It just randomly happens to me too.

Sent from my Droid

OP
GoGators

GoGators

Reaction score
I have had the same issue in the past. It is not from an email that I missed. Update: I only get the welcome message when I have a new email and then go to Gmail. Somehow I think the two issues are linked.

soulfight

Reaction score
Forwarded to Gmail

I had a phantom Inbox(1) and did comparison, from the website and the Droid's inbox.
One message was missing from the Driod's inbox.

On the gmail website I clicked on "show details" from the missing message and discovered the message was forwarded from my aol account. I think there's a filter on the droid that only displays @gmail.com.

Have not confirmed the filter.

tommyb38

Reaction score
I would try removing the Gmail account and then reinstalling it. Unfortunately, in order to remove it, you will probably have to reset the phone. You could try re-installing the app from the market. I know I have it installed, but it also shows up in the market as installable.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
I had the same problem (emails keep reappearing after I delete them from the phone). I started doing two things. First I leave the email on my phone (even after I read it) until I can get to a computer. Then once I read it on the computer (or mark it read), I then delete from the phone and I do not have them reappearing on my phone anymore. Its kind of a hassel but it is something in the server on your email account that keeps resending until it is read or deleted.