personal contact ringtone overridden by default phone ringtone

Tekniqs

Reaction score
Recently i've tried setting personal ringtones for my contacts and for some reason it still play my default ring tone (in my case the codec). it's not bad per se, just a tad bit annoying cuz sometimes i want to know who exactly is calling before i go to my phone.

blue

Reaction score
Recently i've tried setting personal ringtones for my contacts and for some reason it still play my default ring tone (in my case the codec). it's not bad per se, just a tad bit annoying cuz sometimes i want to know who exactly is calling before i go to my phone.

I have had the same issue. Are you running stock or are you running someone rom, mines jrummys remix.o7 theme on Cyanmod 5.0.6.2, but I have noticed it on other roms before. Im not sure what the fix is though, does anyone know? I have noticed my ringtones are mixed in with my music player, that maybe it?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ringo Lite or Ringo Pro from the market fixes this annoying issue. Weird...this is the 3rd time this morning I've had to suggest this :shocked:

Nick177th

Reaction score
this may not be related to the OP's problem but, in the "oveclocking 101" post, it says that if your phone is working too hard in the background, it may go to the default ringtone. Let me explain that better. In overclocking 101, the author talks about UNDER clocking. He states that if your phone is under clocked TOO low, your phone may not be able to handle the tasks it's trying to do. If the device can't handle what's going on at the under clocked speed and the phone rings, it will go to the default ring tone. Check the article out if I'm not making it clear.

Jandroid

Reaction score
This happens off and on with mine as well. Ringo pro did nothing to solve this problem for me, if anything, it seemed worse with Ringo. I uninstalled it and installed handscent sms. Still does it, but not nearly as often. What I noticed is that it happens most often after using the USB plug in my car. The other odd thing is that I only have 2 contacts set with special txt alerts: My husband and my best friend. It will, without fail, set my husband's back to default alerts, and leave my friend's alone.

I'm off to read about the overclocking issue.

abadbronc

Reaction score
I have had this problem since 2.2 was installed. Also, Handcent was "forgetting" personalized notifications. It would just play the default sound.

I think I narrowed my problem down. I use Zedge to set both ringers and notifications and I think that the 2.2 update broke the way it works.

If I manually go to the SD card and copy the tones from the zedge folder to the media folder they are remembered every time.