Pedometer

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It says 11.56 right on that screenshot. Haha!

Are you running the older version of s health, or is that from your watch? Mine doesn't look like that anymore. Much more material.
I deleted the newer version. For once I'm glad I had bloatware I could revert back to . That's actually my start page. The little icons to the right show I use my watch to sync with the app.
I guess my eyes are affected by walking so much and I didn't even notice the mileage.
I think S Health reads the bump sensor and when it reaches above a certain energy considers it running. Might be time between steps also? I know it counts all the steps I take going up steps as running but I'm not running.
This is what the watch looks like
02baf1760cb8bd4bd6a69b6deb4e11e6.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:
OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My legs hurt. Mowed the yard too, just for good measure.
47b2746a8e8bc73c685599bd55b59e45.jpg
I didn't move tons of soil like you did but about 4k of these steps were cutting my lawn today, about 1k chasing my daughter as she learned to ride her bike without training wheels. It's hot and humid here but nothing I did today was as miserable as moving wheelbarrows full and packing dirt after work is.
The 15 minute bike ride on the screen was I popped a tube on the way home from church yesterday so I stopped the session since I had to walk the bicycle the rest of the way home.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
637d04ec2327cf7d4889608e5558c4d1.jpg

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check it out. I the top 2100 for the week
de33c36d60e0aee3c807190e002f11ba.jpg

Top 100k overall since starting and top 11k for my age group.
I also reached my goal of 1k miles in 6 months about a week before 6 months was up and more than doubled my goal of 1 million steps in that time frame.
a65a527eb7f13a1d88258a221fe641a0.jpg

a15a7cbfc2d24562e9528156ae6056a5.jpg

My weight is also down to the left side of 200# for the first time since 03. 198 on Monday morning. On a whim I checked it last Monday (not this past but one before) just to see what it was because I just felt lighter in my step and my posture seemed more upright. I'd dropped from 215 in February, last time is checked, to 201 so I actually looked at myself and I had muscle definition all over. I'd been measuring myself solely by my gut size. Now I remember it's "first to grow, last to go" .
The pipe dream of being back I the lower 180s doesn't seem so impossible anymore.
Between getting a new charcoal grill and grilling chicken chicken and more chicken (great abs are made at the dinner table not the gym when you get over 35), working mostly nights (the time when I used to load up on junk food) and mostly looking at my wrist often during the day as a self reminder to move, go for a bike ride, kayak, whatever it's really paying dividends.
It all started when I got the Note4 with S Health and started tracking my steps on my phone, which led me to get the Fit watch, which led to the Gear S so I can map my exercise without having my phone with me.
Weird how a "gadget" can be so healthy to own.
Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:
OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't find rankings in my app since the material design update...
That was a huge complaint in reviews on the Samsung app store.
A bit off topic but the S Health app gets a much higher rating on the Play Store than Samsung Galaxy app store and reviews are much more glowing on Play than Samsungs.
Anyway this is how much I got yesterday in steps, calories burned and a 40 minute bike I took before a 20 minute cool down (pun intended because the temperate was in the 90s) walk
fe24219ec3948f202921c8efe343ce57.jpg

875dc0b2fc910d3a239c8a31200d8e16.jpg

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm actually tempted to try switching to Google Fit. I downloaded the Runtastic biking app, because I got the paid Runtastic app for free through a promo a while back, but the more I think about it, the more I don't think my next device will be Samsung. It'll quite possibly be a nexus, so I'm trying to pull more away from the Samsung specific apps. I replaced the Gallery with Google Photos, already use hangouts for texts, and I feel like S Health is the next one to go. Can't remember if Fit works with the HRM, so that might make me wait a bit, even though my Watch Urbane can check that for me through Fit. Can't decide.

That is funny that S Health gets better reviews on Google than Sammy's own store. I'm pretty sure it updated through the Samsung store when I got this new update.

(Also, I may not KEEP Runtastic. I have aspirations to try to start running, but I've been putting it off for a couple years. Haha)

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm actually tempted to try switching to Google Fit. I downloaded the Runtastic biking app, because I got the paid Runtastic app for free through a promo a while back, but the more I think about it, the more I don't think my next device will be Samsung. It'll quite possibly be a nexus, so I'm trying to pull more away from the Samsung specific apps. I replaced the Gallery with Google Photos, already use hangouts for texts, and I feel like S Health is the next one to go. Can't remember if Fit works with the HRM, so that might make me wait a bit, even though my Watch Urbane can check that for me through Fit. Can't decide.

That is funny that S Health gets better reviews on Google than Sammy's own store. I'm pretty sure it updated through the Samsung store when I got this new update.

(Also, I may not KEEP Runtastic. I have aspirations to try to start running, but I've been putting it off for a couple years. Haha)
S Health is available on both stores.
I'd look at an aftermarket hrm app if you're looking to get away from S Health. There's 4 or 5 on the Gear Store so I'd bet there's triple that on Play for AW.
If AW gets to be more launcher like and less Now like I'll switch in a heart beat but I'm quite content with Tizen and its Touch Wiz like experience to go with not needing my phone most times. But that has nothing to do with steps so I'll digress on that one.
I did the cool down walk instead of riding further because of old knee damage from my crazier mountain biker days. Riding starts to hurt a lot after about 1/2 an hour and walking hurts less.
Except for chasing my daughter when she came off her training wheels if you ever see me running you better try and catch up because there's something terrible coming behind me like a bear or tidal wave.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Checking back in, have you used the hrm on the Urbane and found it to be acceptable?
I have stuck with the factory version of S Health because the new improved version sucks.
I'd like to see an app where I can manually input my data such as steps, average hr, etc while still using the S Health on my watch to get the data from. That way in the future no matter which I choose I can still do what I'm used to. Auto sync of watch to phone is nice now seeing as it looks like AW, Apple and the others are going to be staying with the health aspects of their watches as the other goodies continue to get even better. In a perfect world LG will finally out an electronic stylus pen on a future G model and the decision will be easy.

One thing that has now become habit is when I used to step outside my house to smoke (I don't smoke in my house or vehicles) I used to check forums, Facebook, email, whatever. Now I walk around the block. It takes me ~8 minutes to smoke a cigarette, and ~10 minutes to stroll the 1k+ steps around my block. It has helped me cut down even more because of the new habit as well. If I don't feel like walking I don't smoke the cigarette. If I'm running behind on steps for the day I walk the same block but don't necessarily smoke when doing so. It's another thing about being addicted to the daily goal that is giving side benefits , less smoking and getting 1k steps in when I do.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I find the hrm on the Urbane be as acceptable as the one on the Note 4. I did some tests when I first got the watch. I checked my pulse manually with one hand while holding the Note 4 to check it in the other hand and had the watch checking it on my wrist.

All came up with about the same rate. Within at least a few bpm, so more than acceptable for myself.

I've started using Google Fit now. It's simple and no frills. You can add in other activities if you want, but I just let it count the steps. I'm not "addicted" to any goal or anything. Just find it interesting to see how many steps I take on a given day. I bought a used bike at a local bike shop a month or so ago, so I may try to start logging some activity on that if other things ever slow down.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I already had a goal to lose weight, just no catalyst beyond that goal. I just know I can still very easily be swayed back to the sofa so it's not an addiction on the can't sleep at night sense, just a mindset that I won't sit back down except at night before bedtime.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4