PdaNet ruined by EasyTether. HELP

xowktiger

Reaction score
I had been using PdaNet, but I heard EasyTether might be a better choice, so I tried to install it. However, now PdaNet won't work.

When I try to connect from my MacBook, I keep getting the message "Unable to open interface (e00002c5)."

I found some suggestions, but yielded no result.

I tried
cd /System/Library/Extensions/
kextunload EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext
But it only tells me that "You must be running as root to unload kexts, terminate services, or remove driver personalities."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both PdaNet and EasyTether, but no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or should I repeat the steps again in a different way?

Thank you!

Last edited:

REMilk

Reaction score
I have both on my Droid 3 and both work fine. I had both on my OG Droid and both wroked fine. I have no conflicts when both are installed at the same time..

cfelle2

Reaction score
I had been using PdaNet, but I heard EasyTether might be a better choice, so I tried to install it. However, now PdaNet won't work.

When I try to connect from my MacBook, I keep getting the message "Unable to open interface (e00002c5)."

I found some suggestions, but yielded no result.

I tried
But it only tells me that "You must be running as root to unload kexts, terminate services, or remove driver personalities."

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling both PdaNet and EasyTether, but no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Or should I repeat the steps again in a different way?

Thank you!

You need to be the administrative root user first. Do this by typing sudo su - then you will be prompted for a password use your login password for your ID.

Casimira

Reaction score
I am having the same problem as the OP. I appreciate all your advice, but I have no idea what you all are talking about. I have a Samsung Stratosphere where PDAnet worked great up until a week ago, where I was getting bounced off the internet every minute, so I decided to install ET. It worked great for about two hours and then it too started disconnecting. When I went back to PDANet, I got the same error as OP. Is someone willing to walk me through this debacle in baby steps? I would greatly appreciate it!

Happy New Year!

Casimira

OP
X

xowktiger

Reaction score
You need to be the administrative root user first. Do this by typing sudo su - then you will be prompted for a password use your login password for your ID.

Thank you so much. That worked! Now I see light. Seriously, you are a life saver

I am having the same problem as the OP. I appreciate all your advice, but I have no idea what you all are talking about. I have a Samsung Stratosphere where PDAnet worked great up until a week ago, where I was getting bounced off the internet every minute, so I decided to install ET. It worked great for about two hours and then it too started disconnecting. When I went back to PDANet, I got the same error as OP. Is someone willing to walk me through this debacle in baby steps? I would greatly appreciate it!

Happy New Year!

Casimira

If you're having still having this problem try what I did.

I uninstalled both EasyTether and PdaNet. Then reinstalled PdaNet which still didn't work. (I'm not sure if this step is necessary, but this is what I did.)

Then I went to Terminal and typed in

Then

Which got me aforementioned error.

Then I read the suggestions from here. So I typed in
sudo su

which prompted me to enter the password. So I did.

Then I typed in

And then

Then I connected the phone and PdaNet connected again.

Good luck!

Casimira

Reaction score
Thank you, OP, for the instructions. I am always hesitant to go into Terminal. It's like this vast wasteland of empty space, and if I key in the wrong words, life as I know it would disappear forever. Since I have the paid version of pdanet, do you know if I will be able to still use my code to upgrade? It's worth it to be able to go the https sites. Going to work up my courage and will let you know the outcome. I also think part of the problem is Verizon's stinky 4G service. Even if they're supposed to be the best, I notice on my phone that it shuts off quite a bit or gears down to 3G for over an hour at times. The sales rep at the store were really badmouthing other carrier's 4G service, which I really didn't appreciate. That is a big no-no in customer service land. I was using Easy Tether this Sunday to stream my church service and was so frustrated that it kept cutting out every 10 minutes or so. Had some not so holy thoughts :blink:.

Just a couple more follow ups: When you said after you typed in your password,

"Then I typed in

And then
kextunload EasyTetherUSBEthernet.kext" are they all on the same line or do I need to hit the return key to make a second line for the kextunload? Do you recommend uninstalling and then reinstalling Pdanet before going into terminal, or uninstall Pdanet, go to Terminal, then install Pdanet and try to connect up from there?

Told you I was an abject computer neophyte. I just don't understand logic sometimes....

Thanks again! Casimira