PdaNet/FoxFi and the Galaxy S4

rdiggity123

Reaction score
Use elixir widgets 2 the hotspot widget bypasses the activation check and turns on the stock hotspot app normally.

I tried to use elixir widgets 2, but when I enable the wifi hotspot, I get a message stating that my plan may not have the Hostpot service. My G4 is through Sprint, and so far I have not been able to get tethering to work. I have tried to use different versions of wireless tether for root users (I am currently rooted) with no luck. Anybody else getting it working yet?

UltimatePeter

Reaction score
[How To] Enable Sprint Wifi Hotspot Tethering on Samsung Galaxy S4

Hello.
I think it is pretty lame for everyone in this forum to say they got their PDAnet or Foxify working on this phone or that when it is not the Galaxy S4. Isn't this the S4 section?

Over the past week, after getting my Galaxy S4, I have done extensive testing of PDAnet, FoxFi, and [Root] WiFi Tether. I have read anything and everything there is on this subject for this phone.
Results:
FoxFi and PDAnet: when you attempt to turn on Bluetooth DUN for these programs, they terminate and say "[PDAnet or FoxFi] has stopped working" It does something to turn Bluetooth on, because you can pair another device with it, but there is no internet connectivity.
Wifi Tether for Root: This program appears to run normally while putting it on the Galaxy S3 profile (and every other imaginable configuration of settings, for real!), but it does not emit any sort of Wifi AP, no SSID will show up on network list on any of your devices.

So... After doing all this for a number of days, I read further and further on XDA. Here is what I found for a solution that works awesome.

Prerequisite: ROOT YOUR PHONE If you don't know how, here you go, easy way I used is at [ROOT] Root Samsung Galaxy S4 with Motochopper - xda-developers

I hadn't found any vids on YouTube yet on how to do this for Sprint, so I decided to help out and take matters into my own hands.
Here's the vid I made, and seems to work well. Don't have to use Clockwork, DO have to Root phone first. I recommend the motochopper method, quick and easy.

This will enable the internal system wifi tethering on your settings menu. This is for Samsung Galaxy S4 on Sprint. Do at your own risk. You are about to replace your Services Jar file and odex files, so... At your own risk. I claim no responsibility and modifying your phone in such a manner is your responsibility and liability. Why? Because you own your phone. I don't... and neither does Sprint. I am providing this information for educational purposes only.

[video=youtube;1Jin3v04O_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jin3v04O_Q[/video]
Check out other awesome things at: UltimatePeter.com

Thanks to crawrj!
References:
Original XDA Thread: [MOD][Deodex][Odex][MDC][MDL]Hotspot Mod - xda-developers
Odexed Replacement Zip: MDCHotspotMod-Odexed.zip | by crawrj for Galaxy S 4
Youtube Address: youtu.be/1Jin3v04O_Q

My Phone:
SPH-L720
Android 4.2.2
Baseband L720VPUAMDC
Kernal 3.4.0-442222
Build JDQ39.L720VPUAMDC

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
PDANet works just fine on my stock GS3 from Verizon. My brother is considering the S4 on Verizon, but if PDANet wont play nice, then i will suggest that he saves some coin and gets the S3. Please let me know as soon as someone is able to test it out and confirm that it works. Thanks.

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Hello.
I think it is pretty lame for everyone in this forum to say they got their PDAnet or Foxify working on this phone or that when it is not the Galaxy S4. Isn't this the S4 section?

That is true, but the first couple comments are with regards to it not working on any Samsung phone, so we are just confirming that they are mistaken. Don't take it personally.

jacobbones

Reaction score
Im waiting to see if foxfi works on the s4 without rooting. I am buying it straight out retail to keep my unlimited and use my phone as a hotspot alot.

Really hoping it works

droidworld

Reaction score
Im waiting to see if foxfi works on the s4 without rooting. I am buying it straight out retail to keep my unlimited and use my phone as a hotspot alot.

Really hoping it works

So do i. I hate how they charge for internet and hotpot seperately

DevonM

Reaction score
I'm hoping that the verizon samsung s4 supports foxfi
I hope there's any way to use tethering in some form without rooting the phone. I have a custom ROM on my Droid 3 that I like a lot, but I usually like keeping my devices stock for a while after I get them. Especially with a supposed 4.3 Android coming soon, and maybe even 5; I don't want to mess with it until after one of those, and even then only if I really need to.

But I was thinking about something related to this just a little while ago. If an app like this does work, it would be possible to use one 4G connection for multiple phones, right? For example, my girlfriend who doesn't have unlimited data could connect via WiFi or Bluetooth to my phone that does, right? That could prove exceptionally useful in certain situations...
I really hope there's a way to pull something like this off.

droidworld

Reaction score
For example, my girlfriend who doesn't have unlimited data could connect via WiFi or Bluetooth to my phone that does, right? That could prove exceptionally useful in certain situations...

Thats correct. Just hope those apps work on this phone

Ducky8888

Reaction score
FoxFi wifi does not currently work on the S4 in neither wifi nor bluetooth mode. The phone gives an error that says foxfi stopped working. It does work in USB tether mode though.

droidworld

Reaction score
FoxFi wifi does not currently work on the S4 in neither wifi nor bluetooth mode. The phone gives an error that says foxfi stopped working. It does work in USB tether mode though.

Interesting. I know it works for the s3 with jellybean. Hopefully they address this

jseah

Reaction score
Interesting. I know it works for the s3 with jellybean. Hopefully they address this

And it works on the Note 2 as well. You could also try Elixir widgets as that works on the Note 2 and S3 also.