PC doesn't see Bionic when docked in SD Dock

boomer4455

Reaction score
Picked up the SD dock when I purchased the phone and plugged it into the PC via Motorola USB cable. The phone went into dock mode but the PC doesn't see it and the phone doesn't charge. Plugged the cable straight into the phone and it charges and the PC sees it. I tried the different settings for the USB connection (charge only, USB mass storage) with no change. I tried PC mode but the USB selections disappeared and had to go to the verizon store to get it back. Anybody else have this issue or do I have a bad Dock?

Shanline

Reaction score
Picked up the SD dock when I purchased the phone and plugged it into the PC via Motorola USB cable. The phone went into dock mode but the PC doesn't see it and the phone doesn't charge. Plugged the cable straight into the phone and it charges and the PC sees it. I tried the different settings for the USB connection (charge only, USB mass storage) with no change. I tried PC mode but the USB selections disappeared and had to go to the verizon store to get it back. Anybody else have this issue or do I have a bad Dock?

It seems to be by design.. albeit a bad design..

I bought one of these docs assuming it would be like every other doc out there and allow a USB passthrough. it does not.. and even states this in the manual for the dock.

I returned mine and even the verizon rep I talked to was shocked.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking at the dock, there is no connection for the Motorola USB cable to connect to it. The connector on the left is the HDMI out. I'll have to try a standard USB cable when I get one, although maybe you're right.

UPDATE: Well, I got a cheap ($1) USB cable and it didn't work. It may be the cable's fault as it was so cheap.

Last edited:

pilot12

Reaction score

I bought one of these docs assuming it would be like every other doc out there and allow a USB passthrough. it does not.. and even states this in the manual for the dock.

I noticed on the Car Dock thread that Moto did the same thing with that....can't hook up to a laptop while mounted in the car dock.

Two steps forward, one step back.....

AA6YQ

Reaction score

I was shocked too, since nowhere in the sales literature is this limitation stated. It is stated in the dock's documentation.

What Bionic dock does support a PC connection?

Has anyone succeeded at opening the desk dock to see if its internal cabling could be replaced with a full USB connection (instead of just power and ground)?

gravebelly

Reaction score
The HD Dock is great its got 3 usb ports and hdmi port on dock. Launches firefox browser no problems. I am not usre though about SD Dock.

AA6YQ

Reaction score
The HD Dock is great its got 3 usb ports and hdmi port on dock. Launches firefox browser no problems. I am not usre though about SD Dock.

Is your HD dock connected to your PC? If so, when you place you Bionic in the HD dock, can your PC access files on your Bionic?

gravebelly

Reaction score
Is your HD dock connected to your PC? If so, when you place you Bionic in the HD dock, can your PC access files on your Bionic?

Not at my HD Dock but I thing I just open with the "Files" widget that was installed when on HD Dock. The SD and HD are 2 different docks which you probably already know. My HD Dock is connected to a HDMI monitor. You can also access PC files to bionic with the zumocast app installed on bionic. Zumocast is excellent and its free. It is user friendly give it a try if you have not already tried it. I am not sure why i would connect HD Dock to PC to access files? The HD dock turns your phone into a "webtop". A Firefox Browser can be used to access internet pretty much like a pc in itself. I hope i answered your question or at least I tried. Let me know if i can help out more.

My HD Dock does not need to be hooked up to a pc to access files from pc due to zumocast application. If you want to just access bionic files to pc just plug phone in with usb cable (The charger it came with can plug in usb on pc). Once you do that look at your hard drives avalaible and the droid bionic will show up and you can open the files on pc. I hope that helps. :reddroid: