PC can't access internal storage

khhan

Reaction score
It was fine over the past few weeks but somehow when i plugged my bionic to my pc to import some music files to my phone
my pc shows the sd card folder, but not internal storage folder
i did put my usb connection to usb mass storage but still internal storage folder doesn't show up

i don't know what is wrong with this. if i can't fix this, then it looks like that i have to put my files into sd card and transfer to internal storage every single time!
that's gonna be quite annoying, so anyone know how to fix this?

shankomatic

Reaction score
I just noticed this for the first time today too. Last week I was able to.

gsDroid

Reaction score
Why do you want to transfer music to internal storage? The reason we have a 16Gb sdcard-ext is for pictures, movies, music and downloads, etc. All those things work fine from the external sdcard. I see two drives when I connect to a pc, first = MOT (internal storage) and second = 16Gb sdcard-ext. It is puzzling why you seem to have lost access to the internal storage. I am rooted, are you?

shankomatic

Reaction score
Why do you want to transfer music to internal storage? The reason we have a 16Gb sdcard-ext is for pictures, movies, music and downloads, etc. All those things work fine from the external sdcard. I see two drives when I connect to a pc, first = MOT (internal storage) and second = 16Gb sdcard-ext. It is puzzling why you seem to have lost access to the internal storage. I am rooted, are you?

I am not rooted, however I did find what was doing it. I enabled USB Debugging. After disabling it AND rebooting I was able to access the internal storage. I enabled it again, I was able to see it until I rebooted again and it was gone. Disabled and rebooted and I was able to get to it. So disable USB debugging and rebooting will let you get to the internal storage.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I have usb debugging checked, the moto drivers installed, and the usb connection set to Mass Storage. Running under win7 pro, all I do is connect the usb cable and I get the autoplay windows for my MOT drive (internal) and my sdcard-ext drive in about 5-10 seconds. This works every time and has not failed once. I always make sure I use the Safely Remove Hardware for each drive before disconnecting. Powering off/on doesn't change anything for me. I think this is the expected behavior, but many posters seem to have a different experience. I don't thing rooting has anything to do with it, but it is puzzling why some have so many problems with this.

droidnub1202

Reaction score
I found a solution

I had the exact same problem what worked for me was simply un checking usb debugging than plugging my phone into the computer. No reboot necessary. hope this helps

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have usb debugging checked, the moto drivers installed, and the usb connection set to Mass Storage. Running under win7 pro, all I do is connect the usb cable and I get the autoplay windows for my MOT drive (internal) and my sdcard-ext drive in about 5-10 seconds. This works every time and has not failed once. I always make sure I use the Safely Remove Hardware for each drive before disconnecting.

Thanks for the tip. Without the usb debugging it would come up (at least I think only one), but you couldn't do anything with it. I ended up using the PC option, putting stuff in the internal drive and then using Astro to move it.

PhontomF

Reaction score
I am not rooted, however I did find what was doing it. I enabled USB Debugging. After disabling it AND rebooting I was able to access the internal storage. I enabled it again, I was able to see it until I rebooted again and it was gone. Disabled and rebooted and I was able to get to it. So disable USB debugging and rebooting will let you get to the internal storage.

Thanks a lot this also fixed the issue for me!

GohanBurner

Reaction score
For some reason I don't get internal storage anymore, I just get this:

37029108.png

Clrearly, 8.25MB is a little different than 8GB. So what's going on here? Tried unchecking USB Debugging and anything else selected in the Development menu. I've restarted my phone, haven't restarted my computer yet. I have the drivers installed...this is weird.

gsDroid

Reaction score
I have usb debugging checked, mass storage option, moto drivers installed, I plug in the usb cable and automatically get autoplay options for my Bionic drives. Devices listed below:

computer.png

I can see everything on internal memory (sdcard = MOT) and the microsd card. I am set to view hidden files and I am rooted, if that makes a difference. I didn't have to do any of the check/uncheck usb debugging or rebooting.

Spind426

Reaction score
I currently have the same problem, i used to be able to see MOT(internal storage) now i randomly can not view it anymore. I also can not factory restore the phone because the phone is unable to erase the internal storage... I think we have a runaway internal storage issue here

Spind426

Reaction score
I fixed the issue but i had to do a factory reset. At first i was unable to do a factory reset because i was unable to erase the internal storage (it said unmounting internal storage forever) so i retried the factory reset but this time i unchecked both Erase internal storage, and Erase sd card. The factory reset then worked fine. After my phone was restored fully i then attempted formatting the internal storage one last time and it worked! It no longer was stuck on Unmounting internal storage and continued to say "deleting data". So after that was all said and done i plugged in my usb and it worked. I now am able to see internal storage, sd card, and the Cd thing.

bio.jpg

scottocs

Reaction score
I found this thread by googling my problem, which is exactly this.
I actually figured out the problem on my own.
The reason this happens is because some applications were being used or something on the SD card.
Basically, if this is happening to you, go to:
- Settings -> Applications -> Storage Use -> Media Area
then click on anything that is checked and try to "move to phone" and if that doesn't work, uninstall it.

Just thought I would update this thread incase someone else stumbled upon it.

lstroyan

Reaction score
Thank you!

I've been struggling with this problem for weeks. I saw two symptoms -- one was that the Bionic was loading D as a CD Drive, and the second was that I couldn't see the internal storage from the PC without going into PC mode which I don't want to do because my sync software (SyncToy) won't recognize it as a drive.

I tried the USB Debug on/off with no luck. Reboot, no luck. Then I uninstalled MotoHelper and that didn't work so I reinstalled it. No luck. I deleted all the apps that were using internal storage as Scottocs suggested, still no luck. So then I rebooted both my PC and my phone -- this time it finally worked and D: (MOT) is back with my internal storage. I'm pretty sure I had an app running from the media area that was stopping the internal storage from unmounting on the Bionic, but that a reboot was required. The PC reboot probably was unnecessary but they take about the same amount of time so I figured, why not.