Pausing (not lowering volume) of music during GPS use

pitseleh12

Reaction score
I listen to music using Google Play (although I don't mind switching to another free music player if that will help) while using GPS (currently using Waze). When the GPS gives directions, the volume of the mp3 being played on Google Play is lowered. I would prefer the music be paused instead and resumed after the directions are finished (the same way the volume increases after the directions are finished). Any suggestions appreciated.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I listen to music using Google Play (although I don't mind switching to another free music player if that will help) while using GPS (currently using Waze). When the GPS gives directions, the volume of the mp3 being played on Google Play is lowered. I would prefer the music be paused instead and resumed after the directions are finished (the same way the volume increases after the directions are finished). Any suggestions appreciated.
I understand your question, although I don't know that there is a way to accomplish what you're asking. That's not something that I would believe could be incorporated into a third-party app, but would have to be at the system level or root level of the operating system.

For me, I find it disruptive and a bit stressful to have an audio stream interrupted, especially one of a song. What's interesting is I'm not disrupted similarly when a television shows video stream is interrupted. So for me, if the audio paused while the instructions came on, I would find that to be disturbing. Perhaps it's because audio has a beat and an interruption throws the beat off in my mind and disrupts my internal clock.

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
I agree. i wrote "music" to make it simple, but it's really people talking, like a podcast. when i used to have a garmin gps that had mp3 playback with a sd card, it would pause the mp3 during directions. that way, i wouldn't miss what was said (not having to worry about a beat).

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I agree. i wrote "music" to make it simple, but it's really people talking, like a podcast. when i used to have a garmin gps that had mp3 playback with a sd card, it would pause the mp3 during directions. that way, i wouldn't miss what was said (not having to worry about a beat).

Oh, well in that case it makes complete sense. In fact, it should give you the option. Still, I don't know of a way to accomplish that. There's the possibility of a custom ROM that may offer that feature but I highly doubt it's built-in to Android stock OS's.

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
ok thanks. if anyone knows of a 3rd party app that can accomplish this, lemme know! thanks again.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
You know, thinking about this I wonder if the actual Podcast app might not have the option to pause during phone calls, navigation, notifications, etc. I could see the app itself being able to to look at APIs and know when an interruption is imminent and pause accordingly. Have you checked out other Podcast tools?

OP
P

pitseleh12

Reaction score
It's not an actual podcast tho. Its mp3s of ppl talking. I just used podcasts as an example, even tho ive never used a podcast app or listened to podcasts. Do u think a podcast app would play regular mp3s and pause during navigation directions?