Password/pin number problem with Motorola Droid Maxx Razr

joeiv

Reaction score
My wife just bought a new Motorola Droid Maxx Razr.

Let me state in the beginning, I know nothing about them.

I'm trying to get her to protect it with either a password/phrase or
pin number. She says it is too much of a bother because each time she
puts the phone down it times out after the minute she has it set for.
Each time it times out she says she would have to go through the three
screens or so it takes to reach the pin or password input. She says
if she sets the time out to a longer time it will use up the battery
faster. The phone without security worries me because of the info on
it. If she were to set the time out to about 5 or 10 minutes, it would
obviate her having to keep re-entering the password or pin as would be
necessary with only a time out of some seconds, or even a minute.

Just how much battery drain would a 5 or 10 minute time out entail?

xtor

Reaction score
She needs to use pattern lock, it's easy and fast, go to settings, security, screen lock with pattern, i use it, and it works great

Reaction score
The longer the screen is on the more battery it uses. I would also recommend pattern unlock as it is easier, but less secure if you never wipe/clean your screen

Sent from Razr Maxx running BDH .215

OP
J

joeiv

Reaction score
She needs to use pattern lock, it's easy and fast, go to settings, security, screen lock with pattern, i use it, and it works great

My wife visited the Verizon store yesterday and they explained to her about the pattern and face recognition locks.

She is now using the facial recognition lock.

I downloaded the manual. It's rather intimidating. This toy is not going to be mastered overnight, although she has already made great progress in many of its features.

Thanks for helping.

OP
J

joeiv

Reaction score
The longer the screen is on the more battery it uses. I would also recommend pattern unlock as it is easier, but less secure if you never wipe/clean your screen

Sent from Razr Maxx running BDH .215

My wife got tired of the screen turning off for the short time she had it set for. She now has set the screen to stay on for 10 minutes during the learing period so it doesn't keep timing out if she has to put it down for a few minutes. She is not a constant user. We figure the phone will be charged each night and that will take care of any battery drain problem. She will reset it to less of a time if she is going to be out the whole day. (She is retired and does not have to use it as much as someone who still is in the hustle & bustle of the work world.) As I said in a previous answer to another helper, she is presently using the facial recognition lock. It works just fine.

Thanks for answering.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Just let her know that the screen is the main culprit of battery drain so if she has a problem with "bad" battery life soon then she knows.

If you are truly paranoid about the information get an app for it that'll help you track the phone if it ever gets lost. I personally use SeekDroid which allows me to locate the phone from any browser via GPS or even wipe the phone remotely. I've never had to use it, but if that time ever comes I'm glad I got SeekDroid. Also if I choose not to wipe the phone I can setup a password remotely from my browser and I think if it's not correct x number of times it wipes the phone.