Pantech Plans to Bring Non-Touch Gesture Controls to Android

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;TofWQZe6ucU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=TofWQZe6ucU[/video]​

Pantech, one of the leaders in the budget-friendly spectrum of Android devices and other phones in Korea, has apparently been investing in some R&D, and may soon be bringing an interesting new idea to Android. The company will include a new touch-less gesture-based control system to their upcoming Vega Android smartphone. There is no word on pricing or availability, but initially the phone will likely only be available in South Korea.

The concept would basically be useful during those times when your phone rings but your hands are too dirty or wet to be able to touch the phone to answer it. The video above gives a great example.

Source: Android.net via AllThingsD

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
it's like using the force !

Heywood

Reaction score
Just a few more years until Android can read our minds!

warped1987

Reaction score
Looks cool but they better PERFECT it. I can already for see people waving their hands around it on accident when they dont want to answer, or auto-answering in their pockets or purses, etc.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Cool concept but honestly how often is your phone going to be sitting in a convenient position so that you'd even be able to use this. Most of the time my phone is in a holster on my hip so I'd still have to take it out of the holster. I guess this could have some beneficial applications but I'm still more interested in the technology that will make the touchscreen input feel more tactile.

drtnsnw

Reaction score
Cool concept but honestly how often is your phone going to be sitting in a convenient position so that you'd even be able to use this. Most of the time my phone is in a holster on my hip so I'd still have to take it out of the holster. I guess this could have some beneficial applications but I'm still more interested in the technology that will make the touchscreen input feel more tactile.

Actually for those of us that use our hands for more than typing it is an awsome idea. Working in the garage I always have my phone sitting on something so it doesn't get crushed while climbing under a truck or ATV. answering it like that would be perfect. This weekend I was tracking down a diesel leak on my brothers truck and was covered in fuel phone rang, then beeped over and over to let me know I missed it till my hands were clean enough to check it

Chris