Paid for apps tied to device, account, credit card?

andjarnic

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had this issue on my iPhone, where I bought several apps, one in particular I really liked called BeatMaker (wish multi-tap was possible on Android 2.0.. I'd be working on a similar app for Android if we could hit several keys at once!!). When I gave my iPhone to my sister-in-law, she was not allowed to keep those apps.. that is to say, changing accounts required a phone reset, clearing everything. I then asked if I could move those apps to my wife's iPhone.. same account as me, we got 5 phones on that account. I was told nope.. they were tied to the device and acct. Whether this is a mistake or not.. is the same issue present on Android phones? I mean.. if I decide to upgrade to a better phone in a year, can I move my paid for apps to it? What about if I lose this phone and replace it.. or what if I get my wife on my verizon plan, and want to give her an app instead that I paid for.. is that possible? I am unclear as to the "rules" of paid for apps, especially bought thru the store.

Thanks.

Stigy

Reaction score
All application downloads are tied to your GMail account.

When I switched from my TMobile G1 to the Droid as soon as I launched the market it showed all my paid applications that I had purchased in the Downloads location.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just so you know, the Droid is very capable of multitouch if a developer writes it into the program. There is already one out (PicSay Pro i think?) that has pinch zoom. You can also look at the European version of the Droid, that one has pinch zoom in the browser/maps also. The Droid doesnt come stock with pinch zoom but it DOES have multitouch.

OP
A

andjarnic

Reaction score
I read that Android 2.0 had it in there.. but that the EU version has it as part of the software. I am confused tho.. why would moto have it built in (or is it a configurable option somewhere that we don't know about) to the map, browser, etc apps.. and the US one doesnt? From what I read, Verizon killed the pinch/multi touch stuff. So what is it..Android 2.0 has the API in there..so we can build apps with it, but the main apps that moto/verizon ship do not have it enabled?

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, apps can be built to use it but moto/vzw didn't include pinch zoom in any of their apps. Most people think it involves some sort of Apple copyrights/patents/whatever that somehow don't apply in EU. :(

Aldenn

Reaction score
Pinch Zoom on the Moto Droid

Hi,
I just got a Moto Droid frm Verizon, and today while playing with the Google Map application, I was able to "pinch zoom" it works both ways, but you have to use the center of the screen to make it work. I recently added Pic Say, which also supports "pinch" zoom. Don't know if this added the "pinch" zoom to the map.

Pic Say free version (which I have) also supports the "pinch zoom" in the center of the screen, and has some neat photo editing features, which are fully implemented in the "Pro" version. If you wan to play with "pinch" zoom, you can do this on the fee version.

I just tried the "pinch" zoom on my wife's phone (Motot Droid) which does NOT have Picsay loaded, and the 'pinch" zoom woked with her Google Map as well. It seems, the Droid supports multi touch and pinch zoom, it is the applications that are not supporting the features.
ah

Last edited:

eliassami5

Reaction score
Hi,
I just got a Moto Droid frm Verizon, and today while playing with the Google Map application, I was able to "pinch zoom" it works both ways, but you have to use the center of the screen to make it work. I recently added Pic Say, which also supports "pinch" zoom. Don't know if this added the "pinch" zoom to the map.

Pic Say free version (which I have) also supports the "pinch zoom" in the center of the screen, and has some neat photo editing features, which are fully implemented in the "Pro" version. If you wan to play with "pinch" zoom, you can do this on the fee version.

I just tried the "pinch" zoom on my wife's phone (Motot Droid) which does NOT have Picsay loaded, and the 'pinch" zoom woked with her Google Map as well. It seems, the Droid supports multi touch and pinch zoom, it is the applications that are not supporting the features.
ah

you do know that this thread is 4 months old right?

Aldenn

Reaction score
Yes, but thought someone new searching the subj, would see it,
and benefit from the info.
ah