Owning the Samsung Note 7 could mean your home insurance is invalid!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
A-man-holds-his-mobile-phone-Samsung-Galaxy-Note-7.jpg

Have you guys Read or heard about this?

A spokeswoman for the Association of British Insurers (ABI) told the Mirror: “Customers should always follow product recall instructions issued by manufacturers.

“We would expect insurers to allow a reasonable amount of time for people to act but if an item is kept or used against a manufacturer’s advice and causes damage, there is a risk of insurance cover being invalidated.

“Anyone with questions should speak to their insurer.”

Source

thc1967

Reaction score
...which only matters if the phone is determined to be the cause of the damage. Any damage from any other cause would still be covered, even if you had a Note 7 in the house at the time it happened.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
But I don't officially own it anymore, as it's been replaced with the S7-edge ...

Sent from my New Note 7

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I don't get people holding onto known defective products.
There was a very very very small percentage of devices reported to have "issues" even less turned over for full inspection.

Do you know how many items in your home have known defects and issues? The world is full of defective parts (and people) until Samsung can tell me definitively that there was in fact an issue I will keep my device. They are doing all of this recall stuff solely because of people creating a frenzy over some crap they saw online.

Maybe we start creating a frenzy about people eating so much fast food and exploding and this country will take a good turn to not being the most obese place on the planet.....

Samsung Note 7.5

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
I don't get people holding onto known defective products.
5 out of 2,500,000 + what percentage is that..
The screwball media has inflamed and destroyed another, maybe they should be rejected and sent back?
Not every device is defective. How many have you heard having issues since? Zero.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Great point Mustang, wish I'd thought of that sooner.

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
That would be 0.00002%

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Yep, I'd done the math some time ago, but we can't do everything for people around here, some things they need to do for themselves or they don't learn.
That's for this and other posts...

Sent from my New Note 7

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yep, I'd done the math some time ago, but we can't do everything for people around here, some things they need to do for themselves or they don't learn.
That's for this and other posts...

Sent from my New Note 7
Sometimes true. In this case, it is driving home a point of absurdity; 5 out of 2,500,000 or 0.00002%. Same thing but doing the math might not give the absurdity it's true justice.

I still can't help but think what a total shame and total farce this was. Of the minscule few devices that supposedly caught fire, we don't even know for sure that those cases were legitimate. And since the recall, of the millions that are still out there being used, not a single report of fire.

Maybe Samsung should release their next Note several months before iPhone's release. Maybe iPhone sales won't feel so threatened where they have to remove the competition.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sometimes true. In this case, it is driving home a point of absurdity; 5 out of 2,500,000 or 0.00002%. Same thing but doing the math might not give the absurdity it's true justice.

I still can't help but think what a total shame and total farce this was. Of the minscule few devices that supposedly caught fire, we don't even know for sure that those cases were legitimate. And since the recall, of the millions that are still out there being used, not a single report of fire.

Maybe Samsung should release their next Note several months before iPhone's release. Maybe iPhone sales won't feel so threatened where they have to remove the competition.

There's not millions out there left... only 2.5 million originally sold and if 80% have been returned means at most 500k left world wide. And some percentage of those are like the one at my house, powered off waiting to be returned

Now if the issue was such a small and innocuous one there wouldn't have been 2 recalls and the measures taken with this second recall and the special boxes being used. There is an inherent problem with the phone. There has to be or these things wouldn't be done.

Other phones have had batteries explode or caught fire. They were wrote off as isolated incidents. With the Note there was more. A deeper issues that hasn't been reported that made Samsung react the way they did. Just because there haven't been reports of fires does not mean the issue is not real or still there, just with fewer being used there's less chance for a problem to arise.

To keep saying it's some kind of corporate espionage is kind of silly. There is/was a real problem with this phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Not sure I can agree with you, jstafford1. Only 35 reported cases in the first batch of which 27 of those could not be confirmed a N7 problem. Only 5 reported in the second batch and none confirmed to be the N7. The million that are still "actively" in use is based on recent report. (I'll have to find it). Samsung was being proactive with the first and second batch with their recall. CSPC followed suit. And believe me, the CSPC has ignored recalling products that should have been recalled and recalled products that shouldn't have. This wouldn't be the first time.

Why, when other phones had problems with fire were they considered isolated incidents and Samsung's weren't? I don't think it has to do with the number of incidents but more to do with the media attention it received.

edit to add report on N7's still in use: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...es-still-on-recall/?client=ms-android-verizon

Last edited:

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
There's not millions out there left... only 2.5 million originally sold and if 80% have been returned means at most 500k left world wide. And some percentage of those are like the one at my house, powered off waiting to be returned

Now if the issue was such a small and innocuous one there wouldn't have been 2 recalls and the measures taken with this second recall and the special boxes being used. There is an inherent problem with the phone. There has to be or these things wouldn't be done.

Other phones have had batteries explode or caught fire. They were wrote off as isolated incidents. With the Note there was more. A deeper issues that hasn't been reported that made Samsung react the way they did. Just because there haven't been reports of fires does not mean the issue is not real or still there, just with fewer being used there's less chance for a problem to arise.

To keep saying it's some kind of corporate espionage is kind of silly. There is/was a real problem with this phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The problem lays with those that listen to the lies, and eat it up because they are scared of life. I'm not scared of life, but will return the phone when it's rendered unusable. I believe Samsung killed the device because they knew whatever is behind the failures wouldn't stop until they killed it... And look it stopped.

Sent from my New Note 7