Overseas help

stanley618

Reaction score
I have a rooted D2G. I am currently in South Korea. I will be traveling to other places like Singapore. I have inserted a sim card from South Korea and it does not read. Is there any thing i can do? i have the unlock code from verizon.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Did you switch the phone to GSM mode?

Does it say “No SIM card” or something like that?

If so, contact the carrier for a replacement, your SIM card is probably dead.

OP
S

stanley618

Reaction score
When i switched the mode to GSM, it goes to a different menu. With the options to search for networks. after i search i find one network. Then after i connect to it around 2-3 mins it says asks to switch to global. I have trying in many different locations and it still does the same thing.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Please confirm that you're on stock firmware.
Did you already enter the SIM unlock code provided by Verizon? When the phone sees a “foreign SIM”, it asks for the unlock code unless it was unlocked already.

By the way, does the phone ask for SIM PIN (if the SIM is PIN-locked) when you power it on?

Also try doing the following:

1. Make sure the phone is in GSM mode.
2. Power off and pull the battery out for a minute.
3. Make sure the SIM card is in place.
4. Place the battery back and power on.

Also, the phone should be in Automatic network search mode. You don't need to select the GSM network by hand. If your carrier's network is unreachable, it will offer you to switch to Global mode.

The fact that you only see one network is very suspicious, too.

OP
S

stanley618

Reaction score
I am on stock firmware.
I have not entered the unlock code yet cause it hasnt asked for it. It never asked for an unlock code or SIM PIN.
I tried that still the same thing.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Well either it is unlocked already and the SIM has no PIN lock set up, or the SIM card inside is that Verizon/Vodafone one. Or the phone is, well, malfunctioning.

As far as I recall, it won't allow you to switch it to GSM mode if there's no SIM card installed.

If the phone is already unlocked and the SIM card doesn't have a PIN lock set up, granted the phone is functioning properly, the carrier's network is unavailable at your location.

There is another possibility though. Have you ever been to the service menu? It has that dreaded “USA Band” option in GSM configuration which totally kills the radio module.

OP
S

stanley618

Reaction score
I have a korea sim installed. i talked to the company i bought it from and they told me that their sim cards wont work in phones from the states. Is there anyone knows anything about this?

Last edited:

dobosininja

Reaction score
I am in japan using a softbank sim card. When we first got the phone we put the sim card in and it asked for the unlock code. You can also go to the security menu and see if it is locked from there. I had to edit a file in the system/etc folder to get the network to show up as it needed the correct apn.

Sent from my HTC S710d using DroidForums

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I have a korea sim installed. i talked to the company i bought it from and they told me that their sim cards wont work in phones from the states. Is there anyone knows anything about this?

Which Korean carrier are you talking about?

Also yeah, I also use Softbank and it just works. Didn't have to edit anything, though — just added the APNs via Settings.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
As far as I know, SK Telecom uses CDMA-2000 for voice, and HSPA + LTE for data in South Korea.

I'm not at all sure the Droid 2 Global can work on their network properly.