Overheating when charging

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
My sister and my phone overheats when charging after like an hour, so we can't charge overnight. I've tried plenty of kernels and they all did the same. I've even set a profile for "charging/full" to the lowest and on powersave but it shows slot 3's mhz. I thought it was the battery, but it's not because my extended battery does the same. Help?!
Thanks...

Tapatalk-Motorola Droid-303!
Tap, Swype, and Talk.

Hmong
Xiong

djakrse

Reaction score
I assume you aren't sharing one outlet adapter, but have your own? I wouldn't expect two faulty adapters or cables. You might want to test your outlets for high voltage, especially if you live in an old house.

Regarding your profiles, make sure you don't have too many. Constantly changing profiles can kill your battery in a matter of hours. In this case, it's difficult to say if your processor is running hot or just your battery, but if it's draining and recharging all night that could explain the heat. You might try watching it charge. Use an app like SeePU to watch the processor and an app that shows battery temp as well. Disable notifications in setcpu and try setting maximum to stock 550 or 600 mhz.

Also, charge in a cool location in your house. Don't charge in a tight space where heat can build.

I hope some of this helps.

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
One thing i noticed for my phone is that if i leave the screen on while charging it over heats but with the screen off it's fine dunno just something my device does

djakrse

Reaction score
I've even set a profile for "charging/full" to the lowest and on powersave but it shows slot 3's mhz.
I sort of assumed you were charging with outlet and not USB, but it sort of holds for either.

The screen off or heat profiles are usually the highest priority profile, but you could move charging/USB or charging/AC above screen off profile and set that how you want it. The charging/full profile pertains to when charging has completed. I'd set that to stock if anything.

OP
Hmong_Xiong

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
My house isn't that old lol but I'm trying Chevy's kernel again and it does overheat but in like 3 hours...my screen is off and we have our own adapters and it overheats when charging usb too
I assume you aren't sharing one outlet adapter, but have your own? I wouldn't expect two faulty adapters or cables. You might want to test your outlets for high voltage, especially if you live in an old house.

Regarding your profiles, make sure you don't have too many. Constantly changing profiles can kill your battery in a matter of hours. In this case, it's difficult to say if your processor is running hot or just your battery, but if it's draining and recharging all night that could explain the heat. You might try watching it charge. Use an app like SeePU to watch the processor and an app that shows battery temp as well. Disable notifications in setcpu and try setting maximum to stock 550 or 600 mhz.

Also, charge in a cool location in your house. Don't charge in a tight space where heat can build.

I hope some of this helps.

Tap, Swype, and Talk.

Hmong
Xiong

djakrse

Reaction score
Are you both rooted? Are both phones overclocked? If so, what mods do they have in common that could account for the same heat issues? E.g., both low/high voltage kernels?

What about your setcpu profiles? Setcpu is an awesome app, but it gives you enough control to overmanage your CPU. Too many heat profiles can work against you in a big way. You might try disabling setcpu and charging at stock clockspeed. You might even try, and this may be extreme, making a nandroid backup, then flashing back to stock via nand restore or SBF, before charging.

Also, it is possible you are both experiencing the same hardware issues, however unlikely, e.g. faulty cables.

Last edited:

djakrse

Reaction score
If nothing is apparently the cause, you need to start eliminating possible causes, one at a time.

You've tried different kernels but make sure you try medium or high voltage ones as well.

Disable setcpu. If that helps, look at your profiles as the cause.

Borrow charging cable from a 3rd party if you can. Try charging at work or school.

You've tried different roms. Look at what's changed since it started happening. Too many apps running in the background? Not enough free space?

Something has to give you clues. If nothing does, you might want to take both phones to your dealer, but be sure to return them to stock and OTA update first if possible. Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
Hmong_Xiong

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
I'm using miui rom and I put simply stunning on my sister's and she's using chevyno1's low volt kernel and I'm using whatever kernel is in miui 1.5.13...we've tried my other sister's htc cable and my bro's samsung cable and blackberry cables and still overheats...the way to make it stop overheating is to put the phone near an open window lol

Tap, Swype, and Talk.

Hmong
Xiong

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you consider overheating?

Overheating so the phone reboots? Or overheating because you think its too hot?

I charge mine occasionally in my vehicle mount and with the sun beating down and navigation going with the screen on it gets to about 120degF.

Thats pretty hot but no ill effects yet.

I'm also using the stock kernel, with charging profile highest in SetCPU 125-500mhz

OP
Hmong_Xiong

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
When I charge, the max temperature it'll go to is 140°F...which is bad especially when it's like that for couple hours...also what I've seen is that when it charges, it stays at Slot 3 (which mine is 550 mhz) and you cant underclock that...I've tried setting it at 250 mhz (screen off and charging profiles) but it stills heats up

Tap, Swype, and Talk.

Hmong
Xiong

OP
Hmong_Xiong

Hmong_Xiong

Reaction score
Oh and also, on overnight charging, the phone just stays at 50% (I'm guessing that the heat is using the rest)

Tap, Swype, and Talk.

Hmong
Xiong

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would go ahead and go back to stock and see if that changes anything.

Sent from my RZRecovery'd Overclocked, and ROM'd Droid.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Well, I am late to this party, but I have also noticed that when the phone gets too hot the battery stops charging. That's why an extra battery and a battery only charger was invented. Silly people, that jack on the phone isn't _really_ meant to charge it, it's only for hacking and USB transfers and such, lol.

Other than that I don't have any good advice to fix you up. The only time I use the jack for charging is in the situation that guidot posted, in the car using nav in the car dock. When it starts to get too hot, I start turning on the defrost on as cold as I can get it, FWIW.

good luck