Overheating

Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has asked this yet, but are you using a battery or charger that is not Motorola branded? If you are, that is probably the cause.

Not at night, and like I said, it's not every night.. it's been like 4 times since I got the phone..

TatDroid

Reaction score
If it doesn't happen every time then I'm thinking it's not the charger. Sounds like an app or some process. Do you ever check to see what's running before you hook it up at night? (menu > manage apps > running services)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

azdrifter

Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has asked this yet, but are you using a battery or charger that is not Motorola branded? If you are, that is probably the cause.
I've actually never used the chargers that come with my phone there are at least 5 different brands of phones in my home and I can't remember what charger I use at night because it is so old that there is no branding on it anywhere for all i know it might even be a generic brand that came with accessories that I bought off ebay or somewhere else.
But being that they are all micro usb anyways what difference does that make if it makes a difference at all ?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
I've actually never used the chargers that come with my phone there are at least 5 different brands of phones in my home and I can't remember what charger I use at night because it is so old that there is no branding on it anywhere for all i know it might even be a generic brand that came with accessories that I bought off ebay or somewhere else.
But being that they are all micro usb anyways what difference does that make if it makes a difference at all ?

I couldn't get into the technical nitty gritty, but I'll tell you from experience an incompatible charger will cause problems. Anything from overheating to just plain making the phone act weird while plugged in. Again, couldn't tell you why, but I can tell you it happens.

azdrifter

Reaction score
I couldn't get into the technical nitty gritty, but I'll tell you from experience an incompatible charger will cause problems. Anything from overheating to just plain making the phone act weird while plugged in. Again, couldn't tell you why, but I can tell you it happens.
I guess I've been fortunate because I haven't had those problems,..but i will definitely be looking for the original boxes to pull those chargers out for sure!

tennvol

Reaction score
When I had a DROID pro I had nothing but problems using a non moto branded charger. Phone would get hot and the touchscreen wouldn't respond

TatDroid

Reaction score

Yeah, it actually makes a big difference. The amount of volts and amps they put out and the actual pin configuration inside the USB slot can differ. I've seen converters that put out as little as 500mA to as much as 1.3amps.

I'm pretty sure the OEM charger for the Bionic outputs 5.1 volts and 850mA.

azdrifter

Reaction score
Yeah, it actually makes a big difference. The amount of volts and amps they put out and the actual pin configuration inside the USB slot can differ. I've seen converters that put out as little as 500mA to as much as 1.3amps.

I'm pretty sure the OEM charger for the Bionic outputs 5.1 volts and 850mA.

Well that makes sense !

recbutterfly

Reaction score
I am having the same issue with my droid 3. Pulling the battery seems to be the only way to get it to restart. And I am using a motorola charger. Probably a good thing one of my clients works @ vzw store. Guess im after a battery.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

quizzard

Reaction score
If ya'll want a really fast charge, use a tablet charger. It puts out 5v at 2 amps. The BIONIC will accept up to 5.15v @ 1.5A.

bbtkd

Reaction score

I recall a guy with the original Droid posting that he woke up at 3AM to pounding on his front door, and it was the police and neighbors. Turns out he had used a crackberry charger that only put out 500ma, so the Droid pulled the voltage low (as happens when you draw too much power), freaking out the phone. The phone had started continually calling random people in his contact list, and his neighbors kept getting hangup calls and thought there was an emergency.

As others mentioned, you can go higher on the ma rating, but not lower. USB type chargers should all be the same voltage, with the caveat that overloading them can draw the voltage down.

Oianhay

Reaction score
Phone is overheating to the point that the screen shuts off. However the screen doesn't simply shut off, it looks as though the screen 'melts' away. Any ideas as to the problem specifics and a solution?

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

cody92595

Reaction score
um my does that...it happens when your multi tasking like crazy or on the internet alot and using 3g i usually wait till i get home and then download stuff and look things up and it hasnt over heated since

SimT

Reaction score
Hello

My friend and I have owned the Galaxy S3 for a week now, and yesterday, something strange happened to my friend's S III. Before she went to sleep at around midnight, she left her phone charging. In the middle of the night, at around 4 or 5 in the morning, she unplugged it because it was fully charged. She put it next to her on the bed so that she could hear the alarm that she had set. When she woke up, she realized the phone was really hot and had shut off. When she powered it back on, the battery was at 17%. That's 100% to 17% within a few hours. She then checked to see what was going on and saw that "Android System" was using about 80% of the battery usage. When she started charging it again, she also got a temperature warning (It was the picture you see when you start charging, and she said every 5 seconds, a little thermometer icon would pop up).

Today, we compared our phone usage after a full charge with moderate to little usage, and there is a definitely a noticeable difference in battery life (see attached files). After about 2 hours 35 minutes, I'm at 91% battery, but she's already at 53%. Now her "Android System" seems to be fine, but we don't know if it will act up again.

Does anybody have an idea of what has happened with her phone? We truly appreciate all your input.

View attachment 55478View attachment 55479