Overheating draining battery

molina67

Reaction score
Okay, I have had my Droid X for about a month, and the past few days it has been getting hot and draining the battery. When I plug it in to charge it seems to take a long time to charge. I don't know much about the Droid or how it works so keep it simple. Thanks in advanced.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Okay, I have had my Droid X for about a month, and the past few days it has been getting hot and draining the battery. When I plug it in to charge it seems to take a long time to charge. I don't know much about the Droid or how it works so keep it simple. Thanks in advanced.

Based on your limited description I would say it is probably an app that isn't shutting down properly and is running in the background. Have you installed any new apps right before this overheating problem started?

Do you you have a task killer, anti-virus software?

Have you checked the battery manager to see what it says?

Have you tried restarting the phone?

Can you provide us with a few more details as to how the phone is behaving?

OP
M

molina67

Reaction score
Do you you have a task killer, anti-virus software? No but will get one

Have you checked the battery manager to see what it says? Yes but really don't understand it.

Have you tried restarting the phone? Yes

Can you provide us with a few more details as to how the phone is behaving.

It started a few days ago, when weather bug tried updating my location. Seemed to be stuck on updating, so I uninstalled it today and turn off the phone. Then I stopped almost all applications that were running. Seems to be charging fine now and not heating up. I am still trying to learn this mini laptop... Thanks.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Do you you have a task killer, anti-virus software? No but will get one

Have you checked the battery manager to see what it says? Yes but really don't understand it.

Have you tried restarting the phone? Yes

Can you provide us with a few more details as to how the phone is behaving.

It started a few days ago, when weather bug tried updating my location. Seemed to be stuck on updating, so I uninstalled it today and turn off the phone. Then I stopped almost all applications that were running. Seems to be charging fine now and not heating up. I am still trying to learn this mini laptop... Thanks.

Whoa now, sorry my first question could have misled you. Please uninstall the task killer and do not install an anti-virus software. It is most definitely not needed. When you kill the tasks, the phone will just try and restart them anyways, which can make your phone try too hard and kill the battery. It is ok that things are running in the background, I promise (unless it is acting up and draining your battery).

What were the highest percentages in the battery manager?

Sounds like you are off to a good start by uninstalling weather bug, especially if you noticed it acting weird. You just need to monitor the phone for the next couple days and make sure no apps are getting hung up running excessively in the background.

OP
M

molina67

Reaction score
Okay thanks uninstalling Anti Virus.. can never be too careful
-Battery Percentages-
Display- 59
Android system- 23
Android OS- 5
battery manager-4
media-3
wifi-3
mediaserver- 2
cell standby-2

that's all of them

cjriddle22

Reaction score
-Battery Percentages-
Display- 59
Android system- 23
Android OS- 5
battery manager-4
media-3
wifi-3
mediaserver- 2
cell standby-2

that's all of them

When was the last time you restarted your phone? How long had your phone been unplugged (it says at the top where you see the percentages)? Those results are reset every time you plug in your phone or restart it. So that might not be telling us the whole story. Try giving it 8-12 hrs and then report back with the percentages. The display is usually the highest percentage for me, but not by that much.

the5barrons

Reaction score
For one thing, its not weather bug that's causing it.

Overheating, which was a problem I dealt with on mine once a long while back, was caused by my settings on the phone. Its also safe to say that bad connection to 3g can make your dx hunt for a signal, which can make your battery warm up. If your phone is set up to never sleep, meaning you have push and pull schedules set to where you have widgets pulling all the time, it works the battery a lot too.

You'll never know what it is unless you strip the excess (if you have any). I ended up replacing my battery under warranty, and then starting again with a factory reset and the lowest settings. Minimal widgets and long push/pull schedules. From there, I turned up the volume and I have no issues.

Good luck.

Swyped while being lazy in the DXForumApp

erict

Reaction score
-Battery Percentages-
Display- 59
Android system- 23
Android OS- 5
battery manager-4
media-3
wifi-3
mediaserver- 2
cell standby-2

that's all of them

I have never seen these listed on my Dx under battery manager. What are they?

Android system
Android os
Battery manager

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
M

molina67

Reaction score
CJ, I don't normally restart my phone, I pretty much keep it plugged into some type of power source whether PC or in my car. Today when I try and check the battery manager and I keep getting an error message stating that it has stopped unexpectedly. It hasn't heated up since I stopped weather bug from running.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
CJ, I don't normally restart my phone, I pretty much keep it plugged into some type of power source whether PC or in my car. Today when I try and check the battery manager and I keep getting an error message stating that it has stopped unexpectedly. It hasn't heated up since I stopped weather bug from running.

Ok, well I had told you to restart in one of the first responses to your thread, I was just making sure. A restart every other day is not a bad idea, remember this phone is basically a mini computer. The battery manager force close is a known issue with 2.2. It is pretty much hit and miss. Like someone said before, I doubt weather bug will cause this if you install it again. If it was the culprit, it was probably because it was stuck updating or trying to locate your position. I hope your issue is fixed.

kevinkar

Reaction score
WeatherBug has several settings you may want to check.

Enable Updates is ON for me with Update Interval set to 1 hour.
Enable My Location is OFF as I don't usually have the GPS receiver on.
Enable Notification is OFF
Alert Notification is OFF

Note that with these settings I sometimes still have to manually refresh the widget which is on my main screen.

I don't have an overheating issue on my phone.

A quick check of my battery usage shows

Display - 34
Phone Idle - 28
Cell Standby - 22
Android System - 6
com.motorola.home - 3
Android OS - 3
WeatherBug (because I just checked it) - 2

Battery is currently at 82.4 degrees.