Overclocking original droid

boscher50

Reaction score
Hey guys, when playing Final Fantasy 9, everything is Okay- almost everything (saving from the mogle thing doesn't work but the emu has savestates in it which are okay).

Anyways my point:

Everything runs just fine up until I actually get into a battle and the FPS goes way sluggish- WAYY sluggish.

What is a good overclocking utility for the original droid. I believe it's called

Motorola Droid (that first one that has the keyboard that slides out)

It's been a very long time since I've been here- now I have a question :)

nbucko

Reaction score
It all really depends on if you are rooted. If you are rooted most roms have the ability to overclock built in. Setcpu is good for having profiles like having it underclocked while the screen is off or having temp limits. But if you're just worried about overclocking I would try a rom that has that ability which like I said most have this built in.

This assumes you are rooted. If not you're out of luck.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

OP
B

boscher50

Reaction score
I'm rooted. I downloaded setcpu and set it to 800mhz, I think it helped a little. 800mhz dangerous?

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I've run my Droid at 1000 for over a year now with no problems. Just be careful because it will get hot!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

boscher50

Reaction score
1000 ayye? I have the very first original droid. "Motorola Droid" is what it's called. You think that's safe to leave at 800? Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it!

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
Yes. That's the phone I am talking about. The original Droid. 800 is fine. 1000 is better.

toyotaking88

Reaction score
The model number is A855. I have had mine for nearly 2 years and it's been running at 1200mhz for about a year and a half. Its has been extremely stable with temps at 120 degrees Fahrenheit during extreme loads but 95% of the time below 105 degrees. I have seen alot of people running 1200mhz kernels with no problems. Try searching Google for chevyno1 OG Droid kernels. They should be in the update.zip format and all you have to do is go into clockworkmod recovery and apply the update.zip and you will then have a faster better Droid. I hope that helps, good luck.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

nbucko

Reaction score
The temps are what you need to worry about. I read a post here a long time ago about temps that were dangerous for your CPU and battery. I want to say prolonged temps above 45°C should be avoided.

That's where setcpu and temp profiles is really useful along with their stress test utility. I went to the trouble of setting the temp cut offs at 45° with alarms and then used the stress test with different kernels to see where I could run.

At 800mhz I never tripped the alarm. At 1000mhz I would trip it but it would take a minute or two. So I set setcpu to 1000 with a temp limit that dropped it to 800.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

toyotaking88

Reaction score
Yes temps are an essential part of overclocking and you can run at 1200mhz on SOME phones safely by using a lower voltage kernel. Here is chevyno1's site where he posted all his kernels for download Index of /kernels-053111 also here is a link to his post where he describes how to install them http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/150712-kernels-5-31-11-froyo-gingerbread.html

You should start with 1000mhz and medium voltage and if it works good go to low voltage and if that works good then down to ULV (ultra low voltage) so that you can get your phone on just the right kernel that will use the least power.

If you want to try and go higher like 1100mhz or 1200mhz give it a shot just watch temps.

I have been on 1200Mhz for 18 months with no problems.

Here is a link that will help you learn more about why some phones can run at higher clock speeds and some cant.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/rescue-squad-guides/47871-overclocking-101-a.html

geoffwhite18

Reaction score
I've tried the 1200 kernels and can't get them to work. I just get suck in boot loop. I've had good luck with the 1000 low voltage chevy kernels

toyotaking88

Reaction score
Did you use the kernel's I posted? I have been using Chevy kernels for my Droid ever since I got it. If you read the link I posted that is overclocking 101 you will better understand why some phones can be overclocked highyyer than others.