Overclocking my DX

michaelearth

Reaction score
So i bought a DX in March and it was capable of hitting 1.4ghz at ULV easy... but i had to send it in for a replacement and now my DX is barely able to hand 1.1ghz. I want my 1.4ghz goodness back! ha

So any chance that installing the Gingerbread update would help my OC problems or am i pretty much stuck with this crappy processor?

Thanks

DigiK

Reaction score
GB probably won't have much bearing on your overclock scores. Have you tried using quickclock advanced to find your true max values?

OP
M

michaelearth

Reaction score
GB probably won't have much bearing on your overclock scores. Have you tried using quickclock advanced to find your true max values?

I have multiple times but everytime my phone cannot handle the "balanced" OC setting. My phone just seems to crawl to a slow above 1.1ghz. This really blows....

For my amusment I tried quickclock again and the "Balanced" setting it came up with was 1.75ghz and my phone was slow as a snail.....

DigiK

Reaction score
Yeah that sucks. I had that happen to an OGDroid replacement last year and ended up swapping out the system board before sending back since it was a headphone jack issue.

As a last ditch effort, you can certainly try the latest GB leak. I've noticed stability improvements as the releases have progressed, though no dramatic voltage reductions. My max stable overclock is 1338 at 74'volts' and I get a very respectable 23-2400 in Quadrant.

What voltages have you been trying?

OP
M

michaelearth

Reaction score
Yeah that sucks. I had that happen to an OGDroid replacement last year and ended up swapping out the system board before sending back since it was a headphone jack issue.

As a last ditch effort, you can certainly try the latest GB leak. I've noticed stability improvements as the releases have progressed, though no dramatic voltage reductions. My max stable overclock is 1338 at 74'volts' and I get a very respectable 23-2400 in Quadrant.

What voltages have you been trying?

Yeah Ill give the GB a try hopefully that helps. Umm as far as voltages go Im not exactly sure but in the DroidX Overclock app ill choose " High Voltage" (which i would never want to use but just for the sake of testing) and select 1.2 ghz and my phone cant even handle that... any more suggestions?

Thanks

DigiK

Reaction score
There's a chance that one of the other slots might be misbehaving. If you don't want to bother with quick clock, try checking only one slot at a time by manually inputting values in the advanced overclocking section.

Set all of your lower clocks to stock freq/voltage and only operate on the top slot. See JRummy's overclocking faq in the app for detailed voltage listings. J's 1200 slot is 70vsel. You might need to go higher or find that 1200/70 is okay when isolated. Quickclock will give you a better idea more quickly though, since it auto-tests for lag/voltages.

If you can't even get to 1200 at 80, I'd say your cpu is an overclocking dud. Anything up in the 80s will generate high heat; whatever you do, don't go over 88.

OP
M

michaelearth

Reaction score
There's a chance that one of the other slots might be misbehaving. If you don't want to bother with quick clock, try checking only one slot at a time by manually inputting values in the advanced overclocking section.

Set all of your lower clocks to stock freq/voltage and only operate on the top slot. See JRummy's overclocking faq in the app for detailed voltage listings. J's 1200 slot is 70vsel. You might need to go higher or find that 1200/70 is okay when isolated. Quickclock will give you a better idea more quickly though, since it auto-tests for lag/voltages.

If you can't even get to 1200 at 80, I'd say your cpu is an overclocking dud. Anything up in the 80s will generate high heat; whatever you do, don't go over 88.

Ok so i just tried 1200 at 80vsel while leaving everything esle at stock values and my phone still chugged. Iguess my cpu is not built to pushed to its limits... oh well... maybe GB will bring me happiness

Snow02

Reaction score
80 is too high. Try something in the mid to high 60s instead. Like 68.

debrad0307

Reaction score
Ever since I flashed LGB. 05 my Droid overclock won't work. When I open the app to change the settings my phone restarts. What I was wondering is... since LGB is fast already do I really need Droid overclock? Do you think I should just uninstall it?

Tappin' away on my DROIDX