OverClock Droid X/Droid 2... Is 2GHz Okay?

EmmVeePee

Reaction score
Update V2 Our member silvasrt4 just put a smile on my face with this picture:
fake.jpg

For the love of god, don't get a job in journalism. I will no longer be coming to DroidForums.net for my Android news.

johnejo

Reaction score
Excuse my naiveness

Excuse my naiveness, but I have a question. I am familiar with overclocking PC's, both the pro's and con's associated with it, especially if a person doesn't know what they are doing. But what about this overclocking of the Droid phones? I have a Droid 2, which comes with a 1ghz processor. This thread has been on the issue of overclocking the Droids between 2-3ghz, and many posts have indicated that even if they are overclocked they lose life and stability beyond 1.4ghz. My question is simply, in regards to a Droid phone does overclocking an additional .2 to .4ghz really worth it? Is there much of a benefit or performance gain with it compared to stock speeds and performance? Just trying to figure out whether or not it is worth it to overclock my Droid 2, which I can't afford to replace at this time.

Thank you.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think people overclock that .2 or .4 just to know they can do it. Any performance increase in such a low overclock is negligible or simply a placebo effect i'm sure...

johnejo

Reaction score
That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I'm not familiar enough with overclocking cell phones to know if would make much of a difference.

Thank you!

Mr X

Reaction score
I think people overclock that .2 or .4 just to know they can do it. Any performance increase in such a low overclock is negligible or simply a placebo effect i'm sure...

While .2 and .4 sound like negligible amounts, I ran with a stock 2.2 setup for the longest time until I rooted and then began overclocking. I got one of the lucky phones with a chip that can handle 1.45Ghz with no problems whatsoever. That jump, for 1Ghz to 1.45Ghz, is essentially a (roughly) 50% increase in processing power. Are you at that clock speed all the time? No... although you could be if you set the scaling up a certain way. And you really don't need to be. But when you're running a 50% faster processor and throw an increased heap size in the mix to handle bigger apps, you WILL notice a difference, guaranteed. I definitely did, it's not just placebo.