Over Charging

Reaction score
Hey guys, I dont know much about the technical part of this, but in the past I have read that it is bad for an electronic device to stay charging after the battery is fully charged. Is this a concern with the Droid? or does it have some kind of auto shut off? Does the dock help with this in any way?

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I dont know much about the technical part of this, but in the past I have read that it is bad for an electronic device to stay charging after the battery is fully charged. Is this a concern with the Droid? or does it have some kind of auto shut off? Does the dock help with this in any way?

this was the case with old niCd batteries back in the day but is no longer an issue... plus once the battery is fully charged the phone stops charging and just uses the AC power until you unplug it. This is pretty much standard on all cellphones.

sir

Reaction score
i don't think overcharging is really an issue anymore. i've never had a problem charging my cell phones overnight (this being the 6th one) and have never had to replace a battery or felt like i was losing charge length by doing so.

BzB

Reaction score

this was the case with old niCd batteries back in the day but is no longer an issue... plus once the battery is fully charged the phone stops charging and just uses the AC power until you unplug it. This is pretty much standard on all cellphones.

^this.

also if the droid is fully charged you'll see that the bolt icon doesn't show on the battery. the screen (when locked and plugged in) will also show that it's not charging and some other notification rather than the percentage of battery.

sherri

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is my Final Answer

From Motorola & Verizon's User Guide:

Battery Charging

Battery Charging Notes for charging your phone’s battery:
• When charging your battery, keep it near room temperature. Never expose
batteries to temperatures below 0°C (32°F) or above 45°C (113°F) when
charging.
• New batteries are not fully charged.
• New batteries or batteries stored for a long time may take more time to charge.
• Motorola batteries and charging systems have circuitry that protects the battery
from damage from overcharging

gentlefury

Reaction score
when the light on the usb port turns off it stops charging. The screen will say charged and the bolt on the icon will go away. You are now fully charged and running off wall power.

nhc931

Reaction score
What about unplugging the droid, then plugging it back before the charge is complete?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Correct - Lithium Ion batteries have little to no "memory" effect. That's why with the old NI-CD/MH batteries you had to drain them all the way before charging them otherwise they would not charge all the way to full the next time. This is not the case with Lithium Ion batteries.