Out of the frying pan and into the...

C

cdokk13

Last night, my phone was utterly bricked. this morning i followed the advice given to me by a member of the rescue squad, and it worked again. Forever in your debt rescue squad. I flashed my droid x with 2.3.40 (it was stuck in bootloader beforehand), unfortunately it still had a buggy tranquility rom installed. I had to reboot in recovery and perform a factory restore on the phone, tranquility gone. I was left with the stock apks, and superuser. I thought I was still rooted, so I downloaded wireless tether, setpcu, and dx bootstrap recovery. However, when I tried to use any of them it didn't ask for superuser permission, it said i didn't have permission (as if i wasn't rooted). when I try to unroot, it tells me I'm not rooted. When I try to reroot, it tells me I'm already rooted. My phone is officially a zombie. help ? is there any unroot/reroot process which will work in this situation ?

JRobzilla

Reaction score
What did you flash to get it to 2.3.340? Was it a rom, sbf or OTA update?

Also, when you say Factory Restore do you mean a factory reset or a nandroid restore to the factory state (or other rom)? If you meant a factory reset then that won't remove a rom from your phone. You'll either have to do a nandroid restore of the stock rom, flash another rom altogether or SBF back to stock.

One last thing, what method(s) did you try to unroot/root?

Edit: On the note of Tranquility, if you go under settings -> About Phone and scroll down to Build Number does it mention that Tranquility is still there (or if not what does it say).

OP
C

cdokk13

Ok:

I flashed SHADO_X6's system only sbf, worked awesome
Factory reset/ clear cache (stopped it from having the tranquility boot logo, now its standard)
I used z4root to root, but it's not working to unroot it.
Also, it says VZW under build number, so pretty sure tranquility is gone.

note: I know you can't get rid of a rom using a factory reset, I thought I had already gotten rid of it by flashing the SHADO_X6 rom, there were just some left over components, which the factory reset got rid of (or so I suppose)

OP
C

cdokk13

I don't know if it helps, but when I try to "bootstrap" a recovery using Koush's app I get the following message:

Error running exec().
Command: [su, -c,./data/data/
com.koushikdutta.droidx.
bootstrap/files/surunner.sh]
Working Directory: null
Environment: null

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Okay, that clears things up. I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know what you were doing, I just wanted to get the whole process you used. :)

There is a full SBF file you can flash even if you are on 2.3.340 (it was from the leaked 2.3.320) from TBH. While I don't know if this will help resolve your issues it might be worth a shot. It's the Happy_Holidays_From_TBH.zip. It may do a more complete resetting of your device, including any lingering root issues. I personally haven't used this particular SBF (thank goodness I haven't had a reason too!) but from SBF experience from 2.3.15 using the full SBF always kills my root completely (no icon when it's restarted).

As for the error using Bootstrap that's most likely because you're not actually rooted and it needs su permissions to do its job.

OP
C

cdokk13

random fix

OK Idk why this worked, but on a hunch I redownloaded z4root 1.3, chose the permanent root option, and let it sit for a while. I came back an hour later, nothing. 4 hours later, phone rooted, no problem. proceeded to boot apeX 1.3.0 and am loving it.

JRobzilla

Reaction score
OK Idk why this worked, but on a hunch I redownloaded z4root 1.3, chose the permanent root option, and let it sit for a while. I came back an hour later, nothing. 4 hours later, phone rooted, no problem. proceeded to boot apeX 1.3.0 and am loving it.

Awesome! Glad you got it sorted out. FYI I just read where putting your phone in airplane mode prior to running z4root may cut down the time significantly (should you ever need to root again).
rawr fire breath