Our next phone?

windstrings

Reaction score
Wow!... look at the specs!
When will it end?

Better start saving now!

HDMI port built directly into the phone which will reportedly allow the Sholes Tablet to record and output 720p video. This is made possible by the 8-megapixel camera inlcuded in the new model, a step up from the 5-megapixel camera in the DROID.

One notable downgrade, however, is the removal of the sliding QWERTY keyboard. While Android does have support for an on-screen software keyboard, you may want to stick to the DROID if you find yourself writing long emails or editing your memoirs.

bluedust

Reaction score
Wow!... look at the specs!
When will it end?

Better start saving now!

HDMI port built directly into the phone which will reportedly allow the Sholes Tablet to record and output 720p video. This is made possible by the 8-megapixel camera inlcuded in the new model, a step up from the 5-megapixel camera in the DROID.

One notable downgrade, however, is the removal of the sliding QWERTY keyboard. While Android does have support for an on-screen software keyboard, you may want to stick to the DROID if you find yourself writing long emails or editing your memoirs.

It's the same with all electronics, I got used to it after 10 years of computer upgrading.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
I honestly never use the keyboard because I'm accustomed to using the same hand to type thats holding the phone "one handed".... I don't do serious text like some folks....

But I was originally waiting on the Omnia 2 when the droid came out... looks like this new phone has the same specs "and more" that the Omnia 2 was going to have.... the 8mp camera.... I think the HDMI output may be new....
I personally think they need a USB out too so you can hook a keyboard to it.. but I guess bluetooth may work for that.

bluedust

Reaction score
Considering what the Droid gives me right now, I'll probably be able to last a year at least.

I mean it's like my GTX 295, there's absolutely no reason for me to get the next best video card so soon.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
Considering what the Droid gives me right now, I'll probably be able to last a year at least.

I mean it's like my GTX 295, there's absolutely no reason for me to get the next best video card so soon.

Well the way I see it.. I"m paying for two phones in my family plan.
At the price of having to buy phones outright.".ie: 500.00". its cheaper to have a family plan and pay an extra 10.00/month and get the upgrade every two years...Plus with the family plan and at least 1400 minutes, you get to X off up to 10 people that are not verizon so it doesn't go against your airtime to call them!...

The other phone on my plan will be due an upgrade in a year and guess which phone they get?
LOL!...... I guess if they don't like cutting edge handme downs for free, they can buy their own plan! :icon_ devil:

Last edited:

Big Lou

Reaction score
Meh, I got the Droid over the Eris specifically for the keyboard.

bluedust

Reaction score

Well the way I see it.. I"m paying for two phones in my family plan.
At the price of having to buy phones outright.".ie: 500.00". its cheaper to have a family plan and pay an extra 10.00/month and get the upgrade every two years...Plus with the family plan and at least 1400 minutes, you get to X off up to 10 people that are not verizon so it doesn't go against your airtime to call them!...

The other phone on my plan will be due an upgrade in a year and guess which phone they get?
LOL!...... I guess if they don't like cutting edge handme downs for free, they can buy their own plan! :icon_ devil:

That's what I do, we got 3 phones and I always roll the next available upgrade to get my new phone lol, my next upgrade is around Jan 15th so I'll be good to go if a better phone comes out.

But honestly, it'd have to be a really, really big upgrade, because this is the first phone I've had that I was almost totally satisfied with.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why is Sholes getting multi-touch and we still haven't heard boo about whether Droid will get it or not!

I'm not so caught up with having multi-touch it just seems so dumb, this dance around using multi-touch to keep Apple happy. Eff them.

evil_O

Reaction score
Why is Sholes getting multi-touch and we still haven't heard boo about whether Droid will get it or not!

I'm not so caught up with having multi-touch it just seems so dumb, this dance around using multi-touch to keep Apple happy. Eff them.

As in another thread, I agree. I just don't get it. I have to imagine it will be given to us at some point with a new software release. I just hope they don't save it for just a new phone release.

OP
windstrings

windstrings

Reaction score
But honestly, it'd have to be a really, really big upgrade, because this is the first phone I've had that I was almost totally satisfied with.

Same here.. I will be treating it like windows OS's.... waiting to see how wonderful or buggy it is and if I want to just wait for the next because what I have is good.

But I'm expecting Google to hit a higher bar than Microsoft OS's have done..... The two have different track records.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Doubt saving up will be required to buy a phone.... ;)

Im just thinking of those of use who just bought our Droid and started a new contract period... if you buy before the period ends, its indeed expensive!

Depends on your definition of expensive. I usually buy 2 or 3 phones at full price between my NE2.....(sadly so does the Wife)

bluedust

Reaction score
Doubt saving up will be required to buy a phone.... ;)

Im just thinking of those of use who just bought our Droid and started a new contract period... if you buy before the period ends, its indeed expensive!

Depends on your definition of expensive. I usually buy 2 or 3 phones at full price between my NE2.....(sadly so does the Wife)

I honestly bought the Droid because I thought I'd use the pull out keyboard... I've had the phone for a month and I haven't touched the thing.. lol, so I may also upgrade early if the Passion is really as good as people say.