Otterbox Droid 3 Commuter Case Now Available

husker_fan

Reaction score
My otterbox case will arrive later today, but unfortunately my droid 3 is on back-order, so if i am lucky I will be able to try it out in a week or so.

neilrl79

Reaction score
I just placed my order. The built in plugs for all of the ports is what really sold me on it, I work in really dusty, dirty conditions. The final price was $31.45 after applying the coupon code that kilofox posted.

VZW_CS

Reaction score
Otterbox Droid 3 Commuter Case fitting with extended battery

In the questions section, they gave the standard "form fitted to original device answer" about the extended battery, but because the D3's extended battery is so minimal, maybe it won't matter?Sounds like no plans for a defender version due to the slide out keyboard from the questions section unfortunately.
Hello, I was able to visit the Otterbox website and I did see a video about applying the case to the device. The device in the video did include a phone that did not have an extended battery. It did seem to fit pretty snug when not using the extended battery. It seemed to me that any additional space, even for a smaller extended battery, would not fit the device. Here is the link to the video:DROID 3 Cases, DROID 3 Commuter Series // OtterBox.com You always have the option of using a pouch, if you need to use the extended battery. In addition, you can utilize a spare battery, if you are wanting to use the Otterbox case. We also have a MicroUSB Dual Vehicle Charger w/USB Port, which can assist in not needing the extended battery. This dual output VPC charges 2 devices at once! It comes with a fixed cable with a connector to charge your primary device. An additional Type A USB outlet will accept a USB data cable to charge your secondary device or mobile accessory.You are able to view all of our accessories online by visiting:http://www.vzw.com/accessoriesI hope this information is helpful and gives you some options. Have a good day!^CBVZWSupportFollow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

neilrl79

Reaction score
I just checked the tracking info for my order, it was recieved in a FedEx facility in Denver CO about an hour ago and the estimated delivery date is August 30! Maybe i'm a litttle spoiled but 8 days to get from Colorado to Maryland seems a little excessive.

OP
The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
I just checked the tracking info for my order, it was recieved in a FedEx facility in Denver CO about an hour ago and the estimated delivery date is August 30! Maybe i'm a litttle spoiled but 8 days to get from Colorado to Maryland seems a little excessive.

No wonder there aren't any reviews yet.

Do you have either of the docks? I'm interested to know if the silicon plug for the microUSB and microHDMI ports affects use in the docks or not.

TrailGP

Reaction score
Greetings everyone,

I have received otter box case today. The quality of the case is on par with other products they make. Unfortunately I don't have an additional camera lying around to share any detailed images. But i'll do my best to answer your questions. I don't believe there is any room to fit an extended battery. Perhaps the silicone can be trimmed back to accommodate an extended battery. But I don't think I would experiment with a 30+ dollar case to see if it would work. The case fits snug enough so that there is a bit of pressure on the clips that hold it in place. I can only suspect that cutting the silicone back might take away from how snug the case fits.

I don't have a dock, but based on the dock images available, I don't believe it will fit. The flap is one piece that folds into both ports. Overall I'm satisfied with the purchase. If I could complain about anything, it would be that the package only included one screen protector. As careful as I was to make sure the surface was clean, while peeling off the sticky side, the static charge attracted some lint to the surface.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

husker_fan

Reaction score
I got my otterbox yesterday, works good so far. The screen protector sucked for me too, I ended up using one of those verizon ones which I dont like the feel of. The corner of the case closest to the ALT key on the keyboard doesn't snap into place very well, not sure if that is just mine or not.

neilrl79

Reaction score
I got my otterbox case today. I was very hopeful that I would be able to get it to work with the extended battery but it seems immpossible to me. I even tried using the stock battery cover on the extended battery but even then the case wouldn't clip on correctly. That being said; the quality of this case is second to none very well made. The silicon plugs for all the ports seem to work very well. It does add some bulk as you would expect but it is still very pocketable. I'm very picky about things and I'd recommend this case to anyone who is on the fence.

OP
The_Rick_14

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
I got my otterbox case today. I was very hopeful that I would be able to get it to work with the extended battery but it seems immpossible to me. I even tried using the stock battery cover on the extended battery but even then the case wouldn't clip on correctly. That being said; the quality of this case is second to none very well made. The silicon plugs for all the ports seem to work very well. It does add some bulk as you would expect but it is still very pocketable. I'm very picky about things and I'd recommend this case to anyone who is on the fence.

Do you have either of the docks? That is really what is stopping me from getting my own Otterbox. Trail helped but he wasn't sure.

neilrl79

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have either dock but I took some pics that might help answer your questions. If you need a pic from a different
angle let me know and I'll try to get what you need.
IMG_19700102_133841.jpg

IMG_19700102_133945.jpg

IMG_19700102_133908.jpg

IMG_19700102_133858.jpg

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haha, love the backpack/lunch box.

And nice! I'd get this.. but I really need my extended battery. =/

neilrl79

Reaction score
I managed to get the extended battery to work with the Otterbox it just took some major alterations to the stock battery cover. I'll post some pics once i get it cleaned up a little.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alright, thanks. If you could, take some more "far" away pics of it, I wanna see what it looks like in full.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice, good idea! If you drop the phone on its back.. no problem of the battery falling out into the case or anything cause of that? Also nice boot animation.