Otterbox Defender Review w/ HQ Pics

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Ive gotten over the rainbow pixelation so its not a big issue for me right now. After weeks of having the case for a while now, its a good investment.

Any other questions, just ask and I will let you know.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I invested in another otterbox. I had one on my x. The only reason I have it, is so I don't have to worry about giving it to my toddler from time to time. The case is a lot more difficult to get on and off than my other one. I think they did a great job with the design, and it is a lot less bulky than my x and otter box combo, so I guess it is all perspective. Luckily my wife got an Ithing and it will be hers potentially falling from a grocery cart!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I invested in another otterbox. I had one on my x. The only reason I have it, is so I don't have to worry about giving it to my toddler from time to time. The case is a lot more difficult to get on and off than my other one. I think they did a great job with the design, and it is a lot less bulky than my x and otter box combo, so I guess it is all perspective. Luckily my wife got an Ithing and it will be hers potentially falling from a grocery cart!

so after using the case daily after my last post, instead of only when the little one had it, I wanted to update.
I like the case as a daily driver. I don't think it adds too much bulk to the phone, goes in and out if my pocket pretty well , and I feel better with not having a screen protector on the phone yet.
Two observations. The way I hold the phone, the phone rests on my pinky and I type or do whatever with my thumb, if that makes sense. The bottom plastic area rubs on my pinky if I am doing stuff with the phone too long. Also, Im finding the menu or settings button in the bottom right hand corner hard to press in many situations. It won't register unless you hit it in just the right place. It is because they didn't center all of the buttons, and crammed the menu button on the far right, so I wanted people to be aware that this is more than just every once in a while thing, and could get quite annoying to some people.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use this case on my phone to sometimes pending on my mood, its a great case. Id suggest popping out the screen cover as that seemed like a side thought in the design. First when i played with it without anything you could tell it really degrades look of the screen and the touch ability is hindered (i had to hit home many times to get it to read) so I applied it with the alcohol spray and soap stuff that came with an old invisishield case and it looks fine after i used the credit card thing to squeegy it. I let it sit with just the screen cover and top for a good half a day and forgot about it. I then put it on its face and plopped on the bottom and put skin on. It look great at first, but after some use it real i could tell that the corners would lifting up the cover and making it lose that close connection. i think its because the nexus has a slight curve and the screen cover is flat. in the end of a grand theft auto session i was left with a screen cover that was half sealed on screen and half off. that half off just is unbearable. I popped it out put on a skinomi screen cover before hand, and thats all she wrote. So my advice would be to use some other screen cover and your phone would still be completely protected. On a side note though, im overly cautious with my new phone, and popping out the screen cover left the front case with a ridge because it was formed to go around that screen cover. taking the screen cover away basically makes that area instead of the flush end it turns into a sharp ridge that will press into the screen. While i love the screen cover i have i dont trust it that much so i took my pocket knife and cut out those ridges and took an acrylic file i had to sad it smooth. A nail file can be used instead. the smooth/shine side of it might not work but it doesnt have to be perfect....you just dont need a ridge that pops out 3mm going into the display. i glued in some soft cloth (cut thin piece of rag) bumpers so none of the plastic even touched my holy nexus. i realize that not all of the comman people are going to do this but i thought id share it so that people who care about the front face will know. i give this case an 8/10. its not cheap by any means, even the screen cover is nice when its on the phone right but they needed to make it with the bend so it would stay on. slight oversight i guess.

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
Could a lot of the home/back problem issues you guys are having not registering due to the problem I noticed with multi-touch about playing multi-touch games, etc.?

I too have this issue but disregarded it because of that issue being noted by many other people. Now my initial review about some strokes not registering is in other parts of the screen.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Nice review, thanks for posting it!

That case really does add some bulk to the device...cases aren't for me, but I always enjoy reading reviews:D

linezwork

Reaction score
I have the Defender on my X2 and my wife has the Commuter on her Incredible 2. I LOVE the Defender. The ratcheting holster is very rugged and there is now way that the phone is going to pop out of it. I bought it from Amazon, but I did research it at a local Verizon store and the guys there actually chuck an Iphone 4s inside a Defender case at a steel door to show how much it protects the phone. The case is bulky, but to me that just shows how much the phone is protected from the hard plastic case and the rubber casing. My wifes Commuter case is perfect for her. I dont think it protects the phone as much, but for a little fall from her purse to the vinyl kitchen floor I think it will be fine. Just my opinion. Hope it helps somebody.

jfriend33

Reaction score
I must say I have mixed feelings about this case.

At first I thought it was huge. Now I've discovered its uncomfortable for me to use my phone for extended periods without the case!

The kick stand is a great feature. Nothing beats not having to buy a desktop dock, or the ability to watch tv in bed.

The stand also functions well as a shoulder prop when I'm not using my headset.

The only downsides aren't that terrible. I've discovered its extremely difficult to use the headphone port while the phone is holstered. Lame!

I also discovered I'm not the only person struggling with this screen protector adhesive problem that's occurring on the edge where the display begins to bend. No matter how many times you remove it it comes back. This is the defender second case with this issue.

The one thing that's insanely awesome about otterbox in general is their customer service. I called them last week and explained to them the adhesive residue problem. The representative had me take a few photos and email them. Then shortly I discovered he's sending me a commuter case not a defender with two screen protectors!

It's like he read my mind. I was considering removing the screen protector anyway on the defender because it's not very clear... This order not only solves my problem but gives me a second case for my inconveniences.

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
Wow!!!! I have had the defender on for about a week straight (very unlike me), and I just took it off. Wow!!!! The screen is amazing again, and the screen touch sensor is awesome again!!!!! I should have probsbly just kept it on for short spurts like I normally would...now I might never put it back on!!

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^I'm thinking of getting this case for the short periods of time (only putting it on 2-3 times per week) but I keep hearing about how hard it is to get off of the phone. Is it something like there may be a trick to it or is it always going to be hard to get off? It seems so easy to get on in the videos!

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
^I'm thinking of getting this case for the short periods of time (only putting it on 2-3 times per week) but I keep hearing about how hard it is to get off of the phone. Is it something like there may be a trick to it or is it always going to be hard to get off? It seems so easy to get on in the videos!

It's not hard at all. Reading the instructions, it shows you how to put it on/take it off. Specifically where to pry it off when trying to get it off. If taking it off is a huge concern for you, you are probably better off with a different case. The case wasn't really built for putting it on and taking it off on a weekly basis I'm sure.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
It's not hard at all. Reading the instructions, it shows you how to put it on/take it off. Specifically where to pry it off when trying to get it off. If taking it off is a huge concern for you, you are probably better off with a different case. The case wasn't really built for putting it on and taking it off on a weekly basis I'm sure.

I think this is the only case of it's kind tho! I guess I'm not actually worried about getting the case off so much as if it will fatigue the snap points after a while? Maybe I'll just go check one out and take it for a test run. Thanks for the response!

OP
D

droijo

Reaction score
I think this is the only case of it's kind tho! I guess I'm not actually worried about getting the case off so much as if it will fatigue the snap points after a while? Maybe I'll just go check one out and take it for a test run. Thanks for the response!

Definitely go to the store, they'll let you try it on and take it off. That's another good point you mentioned. Definitely could be an issue if you plan on doing so. The case itself is 3 layers so I'm sure it's built to protect, and do it well; not whenever it's needed.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Ok so I picked up this case. It's pretty darn nice! My first attempt at getting it back off of the phone was more near impossible than difficult tho! :biggrin: Just an FYI, I now use the end of a paperclip to gently push in those little plastic tabs and the case now comes off with ease!

808phoneaddict

Reaction score
my gnex is suited up in the defender case and i love it!! my only concern is if they come out with a dock tho utilizes the three pins... if they do, ill probably search for a universal holster that fits my gnex and use a screen protector... would be awesome if this case could somehow utilize the three pins even with the case on... doubt they'll come out with something like that, although I really hope I'm wrong and they do not come out with that! lol

Galaxy Nexus in the house via Tapatalk!!!