Otter Box

acbrown24

Reaction score
I recently bought an otterbox case for my droid 2, and ive noticed big problems while charging. My phone gets very, very hot while charging with the otterbox attached to the phone. And when its that hot, it doesnt seem to charge fast/at all. A few minutes ago i checked my phone after almost an hour or two of charging and it was only at 50% battery. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a solution? Thank you so much.

mopar57

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well I'm on my second otter box and it does get a little warm but NOT HOT!
And its charges the same without the case.

n8speed

Reaction score
I have the OtterBox case too. Mine charges the same regardless of having the case on or not. You probably have a problem with your charger. I know if you use a low powered charger it will have issues. Make sure you use a power supply with more than 500mA capability, the plug is fully in the phone, and that the cords are not damaged.

Also, when the phone gets too hot it will stop charging. It won't charge if it's too hot even if you have the phone powered off. I found this out the hard way when I left my phone charging in the car on a hot day. When I checked the battery temp, it was over 55C!

Sent from my Fission D2G using DroidForums

leobg

Reaction score
Phone has protection from overheating which prevents charging if battery temperature raises above certain limit. You may want to check your battery (with aging batteries start to emit more heat heat). Since the case wraps around the phone and that otterbox is pretty thick, it insulates the phone from cooling and worsens the effect of overheating.
How is the battery life on yours normally nowadays?

OP
A

acbrown24

Reaction score
Thanks guys. That helped alot.

My battery life is pretty good, i can make it through a whole day with 10-30% left, which to me seems pretty good.

I guess ill just charge with the case off to prevent any issues.

Once again thanks alot!