OTA Updates?

tb110895

Reaction score
If I'm running the stock rom but rooted, when the ota comes it will register right? It will just unroot my phone right? I Haven't removed any bloatware

Sent from my rooted DROID2

You will get it and yes, it will unroot your phone

tb110895

Reaction score
Here's a question that I haven't seen anyone address so far. I've got a droid r2d2 and does anyone know if they are planning on updating these as well? I'm wondering this because the last OTA that was sent to droid 2 never made it to us with the R2D2 edition.

Sent from my liberated R2D2 using DroidForums

The droid 2 and droid r2d2 are running different software, thats why you didn't get the last update. They get separate updates like the droid X and Droid 2, even if they are almost identical.

I would assume the R2D2 will get it because its even newer that the D2 and the D2 is getting it, but theres no knowing for sure till something is announced or leaked.

Reaction score
When did the r2d2 droid get its last update? The original d2 got it october 28th I believe, that was the last update, its been 5 and a half months since then.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

tb110895

Reaction score
Shouldn't be too long now, I've been seeing twitter posts saying dx is getting ota as we speak. I don't think i will take it until liberty gb is released. But, as for the og post, you will have to have the og stock rom with all the bloat to get the ota.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

That ota is for the Moto Feedback Network and it could be as little as a week or so to a month before an official public ota is released.
First off, does anyone know if there will be a notification of the official OTA via Liberty 2.0?

My main question, however, is if I did either flash my Froyo nandroid image and receive the OTA that way, would I be able to root and install new ROMS from the new GB? I'm not really sure how this all works, will it be the same process to root 2.3 as it was for Froyo or would we all have to wait until someone figures this out?

Thanks!
No, you will not get a notification if you are running liberty.
You would not be able to root and install ROMS until the update has been rooted and the devs make the ROMS for GB. If ROMS are an asset then you can sit tight on your current custom ROM or just wait on stock for new roms.
It will probably be a different process so you will probably have to wait until its figured out. It wont take long so be patient!

tb110895

Reaction score
When did the r2d2 droid get its last update? The original d2 got it october 28th I believe, that was the last update, its been 5 and a half months since then.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Moto is ridiculous with updates. The OG droid gets more updates than the D2

derek33

Reaction score
I agree but HTC is on top of it though

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
The freakin anticipation is killing me. I keep hearing different things about the update. The d2 is awesome! Why is it taking so long? I'm trying to be patient. I'd rather wait for the ota rather than flash the leaked gb. It seems like it has too many bugs from what I read

Sent from my rooted DROID2

shane_huskey

Reaction score
I hate to dig up a thread thread that has been inactive for a few months, but I am curious about the GB update for the D2. I have read that VZW has started pushing the OTA for the D2, but I haven't seen any notification. I am rooted via z4root on the stock rom. I also read somewhere that you need to have 2.4.330 in order to get the OTA update, but I never got that update either. Currently I am on 2.2/2.3.20 and have been for quite a while. Anyone know what I need to do to ensure I get the OTA update? Or is there somewhere that has the official version that I can just run from recovery?

elvyrorie

Reaction score
I read an article the other day and it said it won't be released until after the droid 3 is released. After that, I'm sure there'll be some news article about it. Verizon wouldn't let motorola release the software because they said it had issues.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Byakushiki

Reaction score
2.4.330 is for the droid 2 global. And it was the global slated to get the gb update after the Droid 3's release. But honestly speaking, I think cm blows OTA's out of the water easily for all of us DX/D2/D2G owners. Now to go set up SDK...

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world. Dissatisfaction.

shane_huskey

Reaction score
Oh okay. I was just wondering because I read this article.
How To Update Motorola Droid 2 to 4.5.596 Gingerbread 2.3 Firmware | Android Advices
But, that still doesn't address my question about 2.4.330 vs 2.3.20, which is what is on my phone. When was I suposed to receive the 2.4.330 update and how do I go about getting it? As I said before, my phone is rooted, but I am on the stock rom, so I am confused as to why I did not receive the 2.4.330 update.

::edit::
Thanks for clarifying that, Byakshiki. You must have typed your response as I was typing mine, as I did not see it. What is "cm?"

Last edited:

Byakushiki

Reaction score
That article is a fake/troll article. The phone shown is the Droid 2 Global. It has the sapphire...shade to it. And the screen shots are purposefully set to deceive. I believe the D2 gb is not system v4.5.600. I think it was 4.5.59(something). Two, look at the crap around for other articles...updating a dinc2 to gb? It's not even out. Heck, the author says root isn't needed for rom manager to install 2.3 on dinc2. That site's a fake. Though it's slightly implied that it's the global.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world.

Last edited: