OTA update could be coming for Email/exchange issues...may affect root

Redflea

Silver Member
Reaction score
From a thread on Android Forums regarding some issues w/Exchange support in the current D2 release...(emails syncing delays):

OK...being OCD and freaked out....I called and actually got in touch with Tier 2 tech support at MOTOROLA!!!

Here's the deal.

The Droid 2 AND Droid X (which is supposed to get 2.2 soon) have problems with server side certificates and lose connectivity with the Exchange server if it's running Exchange 2003 or 2007 with SP2. Exchange 2010 doesn't have the problem, so the messages are delivered instantly like the Droid 1's do now.

Motorola sent the update to Verizon as an OTA patch that will change the version (as ERIC S. stated) from VZW to FRG22D. This isn't to be confused with the same FRG22D that the D1 has...they are totally different and not cross platform compatible.

"Nick" at Motorola stated the update is in Verizon's hands now, and has started rolling out, but could take awhile depending on the number of phones out there. It's NOT the 1.6MB file that some have received...it's a much larger file that is being pushed.[/quote}

So if this is actually rolling out, we should start to see "An update is available" dialogs appearing on our D2s, asking us to apply it.

Applying OTA updates is generally known to break root, so if you receive this update and want to maintain root, you might want to hold on taking it until we know more about its impact.

If it's just a simple patch to the Email app, might be a non-issue, but hard to say what may be included in the release (moto could have fixed multiple issues).

Just an FYI...no idea at this point if this is all true (gee....have support personnel ever misinformed us? ) or what the impact of the OTA may be if it is real.

pdoxsey

Reaction score
I hope this update fixes the horribly slow email sync with Exchange 2003.

dast

Reaction score
Great info. Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad I didn't do something stupid and kill my root.

Canadroid

Reaction score
Just an FYI...no idea at this point if this is all true (gee....have support personnel ever misinformed us? ) or what the impact of the OTA may be if it is real.

Thanks Redflea!

As a non Outlook user I'll definitely be holding off waiting for details if and when this shows up on my end.