OTA: Removed bloatware and can't update.

captjmatz

Reaction score
By "doesn't seem to work" I meant that the update installation still fails. I'm following your instructions on xda and will post more details.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

captjmatz

Reaction score
thanks.

Jerkwad I followed your instructions on xda and used your system dump files and was able to finally install the update. Thanks for posting.

A cautious note. I came across a post on xda that advocated installing a new preinstall folder on the root directory. I stupidly tried this. Installing new preinstall files may have worked for the person who posted it but not for me. In fact, once I did this, I began getting an error in the installation because of the preinstall "know your device" videos. I guess the preinstall folder is one of the folders that the update searches through to validate the current system. I ultimately had to put my saved preinstall files back and then was able to update.

kb3awq

Reaction score
Still having an issue here. when I try to load the pre or post file it gives me a signature verification failed and another zip i tried that is supposed to be the update I get error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip

when i try the real update i believe (I have too many zips now) I get the sideload error but before that it says assert failed: mount "ex13", "MTD", "system", "/system(status 7)

EDIT: When I downloaded the ota again and tried to update I got this (which I pull out of the log)

Parsing the directoryd_name: 3-0:1.0 Parsing the directoryd_name: 2-1
Parsing the directoryd_name: 2-1:1.0
Finding update package...
I:Update location: /cache/Blur_Version.6.11.744.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
Opening update package...
I:1 key(s) loaded from /res/keys
Verifying update package...
I:comment is 1461 bytes; signature 1438 bytes from end
I:whole-file signature verified
I:verify_file returned 0
Installing update...
installing motoflash extensions
installing NV updater extensions
installing omapdevtype updater extension
blk: partition "emstorage" size 8603435008 not a multiple of io_buffer_size 524288
Verifying current system...
file "/system/build.prop" doesn't have any of expected sha1 sums; checking cache
failed to stat "/cache/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to stat "/data/saved.file": No such file or directory
failed to load cache file
script aborted: assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "88b14d106c1935ebf67d34285a6840e9fc4a77da", "84e1256862a5723b93d38b6135ce947e97a39504")
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/build.prop", "88b14d106c1935ebf67d34285a6840e9fc4a77da", "84e1256862a5723b93d38b6135ce947e97a39504")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.6.11.744.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

So I think Im going to stop here until I have step by step instructions on what to do next as I dont know if I made it better or worse from where I was. Originally I needed the maps.apk and maps odex as the log showed which I got that and pasted them in with the rest.

Last edited:

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
Can someone direct me to preinstall files knowyourdevice please

jerkwad

Reaction score
Can someone direct me to preinstall files knowyourdevice please

if you don't get it from someone else at some point today, i will try to help you out with that after I get home from work.

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
if you don't get it from someone else at some point today, i will try to help you out with that after I get home from work.

I was able to find them. After I place them in proper folder and I reboot, they disappear from preinstall folder. I've even changed permissions.

jerkwad

Reaction score
I was able to find them. After I place them in proper folder and I reboot, they disappear from preinstall folder. I've even changed permissions.

Eww, that is NO good. I would suggest you not reboot, but instead poweroff and go into the Motorola Recovery and perform the steps listed on the XDA post (that i've linked to on this thread). I know that I see 4 files in my /preinstall folder after the phone is configured so it is strange that yours would be empty!

Interesting to note, i do not see that file you were missing in MY /preinstall folder so my guess is that it gets deleted after install (by design) - which is why i wouldn't reboot back into the OS after you copied them.

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
Eww, that is NO good. I would suggest you not reboot, but instead poweroff and go into the Motorola Recovery and perform the steps listed on the XDA post (that i've linked to on this thread). I know that I see 4 files in my /preinstall folder after the phone is configured so it is strange that yours would be empty!

Interesting to note, i do not see that file you were missing in MY /preinstall folder so my guess is that it gets deleted after install (by design) - which is why i wouldn't reboot back into the OS after you copied them.

Ya I tried that too, and I get aborted on install knowyourdevice file problems. Blah blah blah and then I reboot. Very frustrating

jerkwad

Reaction score
Ya I tried that too, and I get aborted on install knowyourdevice file problems. Blah blah blah and then I reboot. Very frustrating

does it complain about a checksum mismatch? if so post the first 4 characters of the TWO checksums that it expects to see and i will see if i can help you with those. Outside of that, i'm not sure I have anything else that would help.

hobojoe196061

Reaction score
Ok, so I understand all the issues are coming from those who deleted things after rooting, but i just want to check and make sure it's clear that removing the preinstalled apps that allow the user to uninstall without root (ie madden and go to meeting etc) will not affect the installation of updates.

thanks guys, sorry if the question is a little dumb lol

iguanad

Reaction score
Ok, so I understand all the issues are coming from those who deleted things after rooting, but i just want to check and make sure it's clear that removing the preinstalled apps that allow the user to uninstall without root (ie madden and go to meeting etc) will not affect the installation of updates.

thanks guys, sorry if the question is a little dumb lol

If the phone gives you the option of uninstalling an app and it is not rooted then you are fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk