OTA Bricked My Phone

DJRobNM

Reaction score
I waited patiently for the OTA verizon update.

My phone was in the dock and it came this morning.

When the phone rebooted it froze on moto logo and hasn't left.

Suggestions?

I pulled the battery after two hours to no avail.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I waited patiently for the OTA verizon update.

My phone was in the dock and it came this morning.

Suggestions?

I pulled the battery after two hours to no avail.

I just was talking about the occasional bad update that comes from an OTA roll out. Sorry this has happened to you. Bad OTA installs do happen, that's why I think it's better to install off the internet.

In these situations all I can say is take it to Verizon. After all it is their update. They will probably replace your Droid.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
In these situations all I can say is take it to Verizon. After all it is their update. They will probably replace your Droid.
Maybe you will get lucky and the store/local warehouses in your area will be out of Original Droids and they will upgrade you to the Droid 2, it was reported to happen once already here on the forums, could happen to you to, keep your *fingers crossed* dancedroid

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
If you are comfortable doing things to your phone, you could look through the Rescue Squad section under Hacking Help to see if there is any suggestion in there as to what you could do. If you are not comfortable, and nobody here will blame you if you aren't, the only option is a trip to a VZW store. If you have the capability, yank the SD card and pull your music, videos, and other things you can't live without off it for storage on your computer. You'll need a card reader capable of reading a standard MicroSD card or an adapter to fit it into standard SD card reader.

will.anaya

Reaction score
the same happened to me last wednesday. i called verizon and we went through factory reset after factory reset. and nothing happened.

they said that the file corrupted the phone so bad that a factory reset wouldnt work. totally wiped the phone clean.

Verizon then called motorola and moto told verizon that the phone needed to be replaced asap. but it was a refurb. would get it in two days but a refurb.

fortunately i have a black tie protection plan from best buy. took it in, will have to wait maybe three weeks but i get a NEW Droid off the shelf.

last time i had to get a replacement phone they offered me an Incredible instead of the Droid but i decided to stick with the Droid.

who knows if i will give in again or accept an "early" upgrade if offered.

EDIT: whats neat about this program? the first time i replaced my phone, they gave me the battery, sd card, and battery cover. apparently they dont need those things. then when i got my replacement, they gave me a new droid with a new battery, new sd card, and new battery cover. so i now have backups.

when i turned in my phone wednesday, they did the same.

Last edited:

jeffe65

Reaction score
the same happened to me last wednesday. i called verizon and we went through factory reset after factory reset. and nothing happened.

they said that the file corrupted the phone so bad that a factory reset wouldnt work. totally wiped the phone clean.

Verizon then called motorola and moto told verizon that the phone needed to be replaced asap. but it was a refurb. would get it in two days but a refurb.

fortunately i have a black tie protection plan from best buy. took it in, will have to wait maybe three weeks but i get a NEW Droid off the shelf.

last time i had to get a replacement phone they offered me an Incredible instead of the Droid but i decided to stick with the Droid.

who knows if i will give in again or accept an "early" upgrade if offered.

EDIT: whats neat about this program? the first time i replaced my phone, they gave me the battery, sd card, and battery cover. apparently they dont need those things. then when i got my replacement, they gave me a new droid with a new battery, new sd card, and new battery cover. so i now have backups.

when i turned in my phone wednesday, they did the same.

Is that with the "Protection Plan"? I had to replace my Droid at VZW six months ago, and the new one had no battery or SD card.

Lamini

Reaction score
Ran into the same problem today. Droid sat at the M screen for over an hour. Dropped it off the verizon store and was told new DROID would be in tomorrow or next day.

OP
D

DJRobNM

Reaction score
Yup.

They are having a new droid shipped to my house, but no upgrade.

Bah!

will.anaya

Reaction score
Is that with the "Protection Plan"? I had to replace my Droid at VZW six months ago, and the new one had no battery or SD card.

with the protection plan. i am currently using the old sd card with my laptop and use both batteries for long trips.

i am not sure if they "forgot" to take out the new battery and new sd card, but i will know for sure when i get my phone back.

remember. they pulled my droid from their backstock. opened it up, activated it, and handed it to me. right off the shelf.

i am sure if they would have shipped it to me, it would have been different.

OP
D

DJRobNM

Reaction score
I tried the FRG01B manual update when I got home and it unbricked and updated cleanly in about 5 minutes.

I'm not gonna cancel my free replacement because I wanted a clean install anyways and my screen has some serious scratches.

I wonder what the best way to restore my messages and call history are? Astro?

Miniblue

Reaction score
Is it possible that Verizon doesn't try to push the update manually at the store to restore a phone?

BTW I am still waiting for OTA. Buddy at work got it last night and says it works very well with our business exchange server, except it copied calendar entries and then the sync created duplicate entries.

Anyone have advice on how to prevent that?

Thanks,
Bill

webby

Reaction score
I just downloaded to my PC, the file at the link given at the start of this long thread, and I noticed that it is 76.9 MB. I got the file at this link:
9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip

I thought from the various posts and threads that I have read on the 2.2 update that the official Verizon OTA update being pushed out now is like 48 or 49 MB. So before I proceed to update my phone, I would like to know from some of you wizards in the know, where can I download the CORRECT UPDATE? And what is the correct file size?

Much thanks!

OP
D

DJRobNM

Reaction score
I did the 76mb one because it supposedly reinstalls the full system rather than patching 2.1.

It seems to be working rather well on my phone, no complaints.

acles003

Reaction score
I did the 76mb one because it supposedly reinstalls the full system rather than patching 2.1.

It seems to be working rather well on my phone, no complaints.

Just did the manual update using the 76mg file. It worked. I have restarted it like 3 times and it gets quicker each time. dancedroid