Organizing photos in same folder

Eless

Reaction score
I'm trying to order 900+ photos I have of individual people, sessions, etc. for the purpose of keeping them together. I do not want to make 90 different folders for each one, and all I know is that the way this Droid orders it's pictures is by date as when I add new pictures, they are at the end of the album, but some photos are still out of order or mixed up.

So, does anyone know exactly how the Motorola Droid 1 (the first generation) organizes photos once you've put them onto your SD card? Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Before anyone asks, I know how to hook my Droid up to my PC, and also create new folders, and move things. I'm pretty knowledgable when it comes to computers and gadgets, so you can throw some pretty big ... ways of doing this, at me. Thanks agian :)

OP
E

Eless

Reaction score
Ok, after playing around, I found out that it goes by Date Modified, and I'm 100% sure of that, because I've renamed files to change the Date Modified, and it shows up where it should in relation to the others.

Now my question is: Is there any other way aside from renaming them all again (there's at least 1300 pictures, and probably around 130ish people. If it boils down to it, I can just do the following:

1) Move all photos from SD card, to my PC.
2) Open up Photoshop's Browser (I think it's Elements Browser, but it's the picture browser)
3) Find each file (most are grouped together already, but some are spread out between others. Wouldn't be THAT hard to temporarily move those files that are scattered, and re-name them seperately, at a different time) but find each file "group", and do batch renames on each set, manually.

Is there any easier way than this? And before you ask, here's some answers

1) No, there is absolutely no way to organize them by name, date, size, or anything like that. It HAS to be Date Modified.

2) No, I'm not willing to buy a program, or download a free one from a weird site (but trusted sites like cnet and such are perfectly fine).

3) No, I don't want to try another app or browser like Astro (I think that's what I've been seeing everywhere). Reason being, I love how I can open this folder and scroll through my pictures, click on one and enlarge it, share it, etc.; all from right there. The photos themselves are of the same nature (I'm a photographer, and this series is of human art, so knowing where one set is out of thousand, isn't important.

4) Yes, I'm very picky and have bad O.C.D., so I won't sleep until I get these pictures in order.

Sorry for the long post, but this is bugging me bad. I haven't had any problems with my Droid's functionality until now. If someone can give me an easy fix to this problem, I'll stay on these boards and share my infinite wisdom with everyone (not trying to sound like the king of Android phones, but my main job is programming so I've been around PC's all of my life, and I've done other things such as modding the old X-Box classics, putting custom firmware on "unhackable" PSP's, rooted the Droid I have now probably 10 times, and so much more. So I do know a little.)

Terribly sorry for the long message, Here is the short version

1) Date Modified seems to be only method of sorting to keep in order when transfered from PC to Droid.

2) Need better method than renaming 1000+ files to modify the "date modified" (even with Batch rename, it would still take too long)

3) If someone can help me, I'll share every milligram of knowledge I have about Droids hardware/software (I need a new forums anyway!)

Thank you for any help. I will keep you posted on any changes. Like I said, I won't stop until I have figured this out to perfection.

OP
E

Eless

Reaction score
Couldn't find an answer anywhere, so I spent the last hour taking the pictures off the SD card, and onto my PC in a series of folders. The original 600ish I had were in perfect order due to the batch rename modifying them, so I got lucky there.

Now I'm letting photoshop automate the image resizing and the canvas resizing, on 253 more files so it will take a little bit for that. After that I will sort those pictures into the folders I already have made on my PC (with the old pictures from my phone in them), then do a batch rename in photoshop or elements picture browser, to get the "date modified" to match up in order.

Should take me about another hour, maybe two at most, and I'm only messing with 500-600 photos; I end up with hundreds of new ones each week, so from now on I'll be dividing the picture groups up into folders on my PC, then doing a batch rename to get the modified date correct on everyone of them so this won't happen again.

Hopefully this will help some of you, because I know a lot of people are having this problem and there are no answers (that I could find on google or this site in the hour or two I spent searching).

If you have a better way, please post it for future people in my situation. Also, if you want to know how to batch rename using the adobe browser, just let me know because it's super easy :)

Take care all, and hopefully this can help someone other than just me! :D

EDIT: Meant to say Adobe Bridge, not Adobe Browser

Last edited:
C

clark24

This is a very useful article, thank you. My big question about Lightroom is this though: does it copy all of your images into a separate location when you first set it up, or does it just catalog everything you have on your hard drive without making an extra copy? The reason I ask is because I owned a piece of photo organizing software that wanted to make copies of every photo I had, which I just did not have the hard drive space for (I have more than 80,000 images). Thank you!

paclabvc

Reaction score
Thank you for any help. I will keep you posted on any changes. Like I said, I won't stop until I have figured this out to perfection.
23.gif