Only USA Band available on Droid 2 Global

D2Guser

Reaction score
I have a D2G that I am using in France (I'm from the US), I have a foreign SIM that is working (SIM is unlocked via Verizon), but I can't get 3G no matter what I try.
I think that my problem is my Baseband ( N_01.48.05R) . When going in to test mode--> Select Radio Mode --> Set GSM/UMTS band, the only option is "USA Band". There are no other options!

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have been reading/trying for at least 10 days now. Thanks in advance!

CyZeeK

Reaction score
Have you tried configuring APN settings for that network?

Greetings.

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
Hey CyZeek, Thanks for the response.
Yes I created a new APN with the following settings:
Operator: - Orange
GPRS APN: - orange.fr
Username: - orange
Password: - orange
DNS: - 194.051.003.056, 194.051.003.076

With this method:
Settings>Wireless & networks>Mobile networks
Make sure Network Mode is set to GSM/UTMS
Then click on Access point names
Menu button to select New APN

This gave me a signal, but no Data. But this is all of the information that I had for the APN, it is possible that I am missing something?

Edit: I have found several other postings for the APN settings for Orange and I have tried them all, as well as different variations. I'm not saying that I've tried it all, I'm just saying that I'm still trying and not getting anywhere. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

CyZeeK

Reaction score
I found an other settings: Internet: APN: orange Username: orange Password: orange MCC: 208 MNC: 01 APN Type: default or APN: orange.fr Username: orange Password: orange MCC: 208 MNC: 01 APN Type: default Does not mention any DNS Good Luck.

Last edited:

KVladimir

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a similar issue: an unlocked D2G refuses to register in GSM networks outside of the US. And "Select Radio Mode" proposes "USA Band" only. Different networks are enumerated but the device says "No service" when I try to manually register it in any of them.

Could you please recommend a solution? What was the advice from Verizon? Have they proposed any update to install?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Vladimir

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
Hey Vladimir,
I just got home last night after being gone for 3 weeks, so today it was pretty much a family day. I am going to contact Verizon tomorrow and I will post the results, good or bad...

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
I am a little worried about the mods that I have done on the phone and the possibility of Verizon finding out, not that I've done much. I'm rooted and have a couple of non-Market programs running as well as some Bloatware frozen. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I was thinking of at least taking my phone off of root before contacting them.

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
I found an other settings: Internet: APN: orange Username: orange Password: orange MCC: 208 MNC: 01 APN Type: default or APN: orange.fr Username: orange Password: orange MCC: 208 MNC: 01 APN Type: default Does not mention any DNS Good Luck.

Thanks CyZeek, that does match one of the settings that I had tried. I appreciate the suggestion though!

silver6054

Reaction score
I am a little worried about the mods that I have done on the phone and the possibility of Verizon finding out, not that I've done much. I'm rooted and have a couple of non-Market programs running as well as some Bloatware frozen. Does anyone have any suggestions on this? I was thinking of at least taking my phone off of root before contacting them.

Just checking that you are running stock, right, not Fission as you have that in your sig?

If you are going in to the store, then yes, unfreeze and unroot. You are allowed to download non-market apps anyway, but if they are apps that clearly need root (in the name) uninstall them for now.

However, I don't really hold out high hopes that you will get good info. Now that you are back, the problem cannot be reproduced, and anyway, you were using Orange, so I'm pretty sure you will be told that next time you should contact them!

Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

What others have done in a similar situation (while abroad) is to try a SIM from another provider. (Borrow from a friend, buy the cheapest). And sometimes that seems to work, because of some incompatibility between one providers SIMs and the phone.

haro

Reaction score
check xda-developer forum for the problem

quite common
apn setting cannot save, no or weak 3G,

turnpike

Reaction score
this is becoming a fast issue that people should research before hand... no data plans are available in host countries with stateside verizon phones unless it's offered on through the sim card company (9/10 it's not) or your rich enough to pay $20/mb on verizon's tab....

i'm in iraq and have the same issues..went back to the verizon sim card due to ability to actually connect to a stateside phone

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
What others have done in a similar situation (while abroad) is to try a SIM from another provider. (Borrow from a friend, buy the cheapest). And sometimes that seems to work, because of some incompatibility between one providers SIMs and the phone.

Thanks Silver, I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Verizons response was that there may be some compatibiliy issue between the Orange SIM card and the Droid 2 Global. The Tech said that he would discuss this issue with his supervisor and get back to me. That was 2 days ago and I haven't heard anything yet, so I doubt if I will.

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
Update: I'm back in France and took the phone to 2 Orange locations. They both said that there is nothing wrong with the SIM, and it says that it is a 3G sim on the SIM card.
I looked at the techs phone and copied the APN settings from his phone, Created a new APN based off of this, my phone will not allow me to keep this APN setting and reverts back to the original.
I contacted Verizon Global, their official statement is that they do not support other providers SIM cards and that they can't help me. I threatened to switch carriers and the answer was the same.
So much for the "Global Phone" that I just spent megabucks on for this specific purpose! I am seriously PISSED!!!!!!!!

OP
D2Guser

D2Guser

Reaction score
The phone is already unlocked from a Verizon unlock code and I am using an SIM card from the Orange network. It is working, but can only see 2G. It can't see 3G networks.
Is this the same thing that you are talking about?